Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Promote

hi all,

We currently have 3 DCs. One with Windows Server 2003 and other two with Windows Server 2000. We just have another new server with Windows Server 2003 and i want to promote this server to a DC, and Demote one or both of the servers with Windows Server 2000.

Would anyone give me some ideas of how i would go to get this done correctly ? your help would be kindly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: DC Promote

If you search the site, you'll find Daniel's articles on how to do this...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

1. evaluate
      2. plan
      3a. backup
      3b. implement
      4. test
      If ($fail) then
      4b. roll back
      else
      5. post implementation review.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
        would it be a good stratergy to demote the 2 DCs with windows server 2000 first, and then promote the new server with windows 2003 ? Thanks.

Comment

Only if you're intending to reuse the hostname of one of the old DCs. Otherwise, based on the limited information we have about your setup, there shouldn't be any problems regardless of whether you demote the old servers before or after promoting the new one.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you want to make sure that everything is working as it should be, then you should promote the new server first and make sure that everything has replicated to it.

So, promote it then leave it for a while. If everything replicates across to the new server you can safely demote the windows 2000 servers.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
              X