Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to take/restore Active Directory backup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take/restore Active Directory backup ?

Hi,
    I am using windows server 2003 as a domain controller. I need help regarding to take backup of my active directory.

For a computer which have active directory and DNS intigrated how may I take its backup ? using by

a- Normal windows mode or
    b- Directory Services using F8 key

2- For take backup of active directory which file should i choose ?

3- When we install fresh windows server 2003 in a computer at that time active diretory is not configured so technically for restoring first we have to run DC promo and then when AD and DNS is installed proerly we use active directory restore point to add the AD objects ?

I have also visyt the site http://www.petri.com/backup-windows-...-directory.htm but still it is not clear.

kindly help me

thanks
    mypass604

Re: How to take/restore Active Directory backup ?

Let's apply a bit of logic to your processes, thoughts and questions.

well, you're talking about taking a backup, so you would not use F8 for Directory Services Restore. Further more - you would not want to reboot each time you took a backup, which eliminates this possibility.

You don't choose a directory, and in fact, the article you linked tells you explicitly how you should backup the Active Directory. It even tells you some additional folders and file names. So I'm not going to answer this for you.
    The link at the bottom of the article you linked also provides further information from microsoft, that is pretty comprehensive and indepth.

The link at the bottom of the article specifies what you do to restore a Domain controller, and I can't go any further into this question without knowing further information, IE, if this is the only domain controller.

If this stuff is not clear, then please ask some more specific questions based on which parts aren't clear...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Use NTBackup to backup the System State.

The word according to Microsoft:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...10(WS.10).aspx
      Last edited by Blood; 15th June 2010, 14:02. Reason: Edited to replace url with info for correct OS.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

For questions #1 and #2 Blood gave you the answer. as per the third one, you can add a replica DC without the need for restoring anything unless you need to. You could also select the Install from media option to spare the replication traffic. If you are managing an AD Domain then you should really know these! or at least know how to research about them.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X