Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 x32 > 20008 x64 migration

Hello,

We're planning to do a fase by fase migration from our domain "DC Windows 2000 x32 server" to our new "Windows 2008 x64 server."

We have a few quetions before we start..

- What is the impact for our existing Exchange 2003 SP2 server? (i know we have to change the RUS to the new DC)

- After ADPREP can we run the old and new server side by side (after AD replication)

- What is the impact if you make the current DNS service AD integrated (after running for years)

- Is it wise to make a ghost image of our current DC before the migration?

Thanks!

Re: Windows 2000 x32 > 20008 x64 migration

first up, you know you can't do an in-place upgrade right, you need to build a new server for the x64 host ?

Should not be any major impact on the Exchange server.
    Yes, after adprep you can continue to run the existing DC server(s) for as long as you choose.

Not sure on the impact of making DNS integrated, although it shouldn't hurt.

in my mind, the only reason to ghost the current DC would be if you need to roll it back for some reason, if you're actually changing the current DC. (which, based on my point above, you shouldn't be really doing so much)

Although, it's always good to have rollback options
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the response!

first up, you know you can't do an in-place upgrade right, you need to build a new server for the x64 host ?
      - Correct, we're building a new W2K8 R2 x64 server from the ground up.

in my mind, the only reason to ghost the current DC would be if you need to roll it back for some reason, if you're actually changing the current DC. (which, based on my point above, you shouldn't be really doing so much)
      - We're also looking into AD disaster recovery, since the old DC controller is a very old server (without raid) we can't go wihtout the proper backup.

Another question;

- Do we need to rebuild the existing group policy's on the new 2K8 server after ADprep and replication?

Comment

you should not need to rebuild GPOs, however 2008 has MANY more gpo options, as ell as "gp prefs" so you should look into whether you could make better changes..

it's not necesasry though
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes a lot more features
          Thanks for the reply, we're also testing the migration in a virtual lab.

Also, do you have a suggestion for a solid disaster recovery (besides ad restore 'systemstate')

Comment

regular backups.
            regular test restorations of backups ('redirected restores')
            redundancy-based hardware
            more than one server

Comment

Thx! We're testing the disaster recovery in a virtual lab right now...

Comment

Working...
              X