No announcement yet.

server 2003 R2 - 2 NICs and 2 networks, oh my...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2003 R2 - 2 NICs and 2 networks, oh my...

Hello people, I am brand new to this forum so go easy, just looking for some help on a windows server I have setup and I would like to make the most of it, I will explain what I mean.

Dell poweredge 1850 with server 2003 R2

This rack server has dual NICs and currently one NIC is plugged into an office VLAN network from a Cisco switch, the other NIC...empty. I would like to use this server for more than its being used for(call accouting) so I would like to also use it for an FTP server. Now I have an unused Public IP(static) and I was just wondering the best way to go about assigning this to the empty NIC, if i could get some suggestions as for going about this, such as maybe using a firewall(hardware or software) I am open to all ideas, so please shout them out for me. New to all this.

let me know if i'm missing anything, I would be happy to provide.

Ask and you shall recieve!

Thank you.

Re: server 2003 R2 - 2 NICs and 2 networks, oh my...

Instal RRaS (Windows component, rather than additional program) and configure the 2 NICs through that as 1 internal, 1 external.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.