Windows 7 on a Windows 2003 SP2 Domain Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 on a Windows 2003 SP2 Domain Controller

We are running Active Directory 2003. We are looking to certify Windows 7 in our environement. As amny fo you proably know, We are having to rewrite most of our GPOs because ADM files do not work on a Vista/7 box.

My questions for you is do we need to extend our schema on AD 2003 to a 2008 schema? We are not ready to upgrade to server 2008. We just need to make Windows 7 work with 2003.

If so, where can i find this schema and how would I go about updating it?

Re: Windows 7 on a Windows 2003 SP2 Domain Controller

You don't need to raise the schema level. Besides which, to raise it to the 2008 level you would require all domain controllers to be running 2008.

As for how to raise the functional level, I'm sure you can figure out how to search Google for that...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks!

Forgive me fro my ignorance but what will rasing that do for me? Our current domain functional level says "Windows 200 mixed" Should we change it to Windows 2008? We still have XP, win server 2000, 2003, 2008 and win 7 boxes on the network.

Comment

No you shouldn't change it. Again: if you raise the functional level, you will need to upgrade all domain controllers to the appropriate operating system. The Windows 2000 functional level is the highest level you can host on Windows 2000 DCs.

As for what raising the level would mean for you, again I'm going to point you towards Google...

The functional level only affects domain controllers. You can still join other OSes as members of the domain regardless of the level.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Fortunatly we only have one domain and 1 replication partner. We are using server 2003 as our DC. We just have a couple 2000 servers on our domain but they are not DCs.

So in sumation, I should not have to extend the AD schema to a 2008 schema version so that we can use group polies on Windows 7? correct? Will i still be able to control things like folder redirections etc?

Comment

If all of your DCs are running 2003 and you won't need to make any 2000 servers DCs, then maybe look into raising the domain and forest levels to 2003.

As for GPOs on 7, yes folder redirection etc will work fine. Keep in mind that you couldn't redirect the Favourites folder on XP but you can on Vista and 7.

Really though, you should be testing the GPO compatibility yourself...
            Gareth Howells

Comment

You may want to look at Client Side Extensions CSE. If you install a Server 2008 DC then CSE can be installed on the Server 2003 DC and any XP workstations so you can use the Server 2008 GPOs.

This will not help if you are only staying with the Sever 2003 DC and as GForce said, do NOT raise Forest or Domain Functional Levels as the change is a one way trip. Once changed you CANNOT change them back.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X