Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP entiry in ADSIEdit on 2003

Hello

I have an issue with my DHCP server entries in ADSIEdit, and would appreciate some advice, please.

One of the entries gives a DHCP server address as being 192.168.0.1 which is wrong. It should be 192.168.0.2.

Can I safely delete the entry? Will a new one be created or will the system automatically use the FQDN (the last entry)?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: DHCP entiry in ADSIEdit on 2003

Before deleting it, are you having any DHCP problems?
    The reason I am asking is that that entry in AD represents an authorised DHCP server. What is that IP address? What OS (If not Router) is your existing DHCP server? It could be a previously auth DHCP server.
    You could R click on cn=dhcpRoot and Properties and have a look to see what other servers are authorised.
    Have a look at this for more: http://codeidol.com/active-directory...a-DHCP-Server/
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks, I'll check the link out.

The devices start at 192.168.0.2. 192.168.0.1 does not exist on the network.

The current DHCP server is hosted on a DC - titan.htlincs.local which is 192.168.0.2. Titan runs W2k3.

No DHCP problems from the clients but I use SpecOps to remotely start/shutdown clients. That always takes a long time (well, up to 20 seconds) to initiate, after which an event is logged by SpecOps saying that the DHCP server at 192.168.0.1 could not be contacted. So, I reckon the wait time must be attributed to it's searching for .1, failing, then checking titan.

Comment

I've read through the article and as you say, it says in the discussion:

DHCP servers are represented in Active Directory as objects of the dhcpClass class, in the cn=NetServices,cn=Services,cn=Configuratation,<For estRootDN> container. The relative distinguished name of these objects is the IP address of the DHCP server. There is also an object in the same container named cn=dhcpRoot, which is created after the first DHCP server is authorized. It has an attribute named dhcpServers that contains all authorized servers.

When I run ADSIEdit on the Domain Controller Titan (which does not hold any FSMO roles), and which is the only DHCP server for the domain it shows the cn=DhcpRoot entry as described above. However, no authorised DHCP servers are listed under the dhcpServers attribute.

Do you think I should just leave it alone?
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X