Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Time 1 hour out (split thread)

SPLIT FROM http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=45973

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, the PDC Emulator is properly configured for DST and the clocks are still 1 hour off.

My concern is how do I reset the time on the DCs while not ostricizing the hosts. If the DC / client time scew is > 5 min, then I'm worried that the clients will not be able to get their time from the DCs because they can't authenticate a secure channel with them anymore.

It seems that one idea is to demote DC2 to a member server then change the time on DC1, but if I set it one hour back all at once then the time scew becomes an issue. So another alternative is:

1) Ensure all domain members are pulling time off the DC.
    2) Set the time back on the DC by 1-2 mins
    3) Wait for domain members to synch.
    4) Repeat until the desired time is achieved.

This seems somewhat laborious, (I would definitely script this, 1 script to ensure domain member time compliance, and another to incrementally change the DC time to set the time back)

However this is not my most hopeful solution. I would like to do it all at once and be done with it. Does anyone now of a method that I could use to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ossian; 4th June 2010, 16:18.

Re: Time & Date in Domain Controller always 1hour ahead.?

I have actually seen this before but only on Server 2000 machines. Not 2003. Can you let us know which OS you are running?
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

Sorry, I guess that would help. My DCs are running Server 2003 (and most domain members are XP, although I have 1 Server 2008 member server)

Comment

Please do not hijack threads -- split into new topic as per forum rules
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: DC Time 1 hour out (split thread)

Ok I need to clarify a couple of things here. So the DC(s) are one hour ahead of the actual time. The Workstations are showing the correct time? If so do you know what the NTP settings on your PDC and the workstations are? They are getting their time from somewhere. This is strange.
          Two things:
          1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
          2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

Re: DC Time 1 hour out (split thread)

Check the Time Zone in Time and Date Properties. The Server may be set to the wrong time zone but your clients can still have a zero time skew because they are set to the correct Zone.

Is the PDC emulator a new build?
            Was the new time patch applied to it?
            Time Zone Update Tool. (Scroll past the Registry Mechanic 9 recommended download) yes, I know it is for 2007 so make sure you have a SystemState Backup before running it.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst
            Last edited by biggles77; 6th June 2010, 04:17.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X