X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting Up New IT Infrastructure

Hi ,

On New Project....!

here i Have 60 desktop computers With (Windows Xp Sp3) And Server side all Server need to maintain Separate Role (Physically 3 nos server)

operating System for Server Windows 2003 R2 64 Bit.

1> I want to Configure Main PDC with DNS On One server, Shall I use tghis As File Server.
    2> Second to be configure As ADC with Application Server
    3> Backup Server(Backup application and device is to be attached ) can I add this server also as 2nd ADC....?

Is mentioned Setup is fine, "Suggestion are always welcome"

as per security principle which basic policies I need to Apply here.

Pls Suggest me best to Do this task.....!

Re: setting Up New IT Infrstructure

If you want to separate roles, you should not make the DC a file server
    Are you using 2003R2 Enterprise? If so, you have virtual licenses to allow you to run multiple VMs (4 per host IIRC)

Suggestion:
    Server 1: AD, DNS, DHCP (80%)
    Server 2: Files, Printers and Applications (do you mean terminal services?)
    Server 3: Backup, AD, DNS, DHCP (20%), WSUS

That keeps users well away from the DCs and gives you an additional DC (you don't really need threee DCs with 60 clients)

For policies, look at either the security templates or the security configuration wizard.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks For reply !

Suggestion:
      Server 1: AD, DNS, DHCP (80%)
      Server 2: Files, Printers and Applications (do you mean terminal services?)
      Server 3: Backup, AD, DNS, DHCP (20%), WSUS
      Server 1: This I can Do, That I have Configured.
      Server 2:this is also Possible from My Side; but I have 2 remote location with 3 Desktop each Side; i have terminal Licnces how do i use this for...! locally i can Configure; how the remote user can connect to this server ? (should i suugest them a static IP)
      (Via RDP they Can Connect Is this Correct ?Both Side I need to Configure Static ip And Port Forwarding....!!!)

server 3:
      ADC I Can Configure; But DNS Option For ADC How To Configure?

Comment

Server 2:
        You will need either a static IP or a service like DynDNS which updates from your dynamic IP. Static is easier. You will then need to forward port 3389 on your router to the internal IP of the terminal server.

Server 3:
        Just go into "Manage Your Server" and add the DNS server role. Make sure you set it up as Active Directory Integrated
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks ! this Plan I can Submit in-front of them, Lets see What happens

Please dont close this Topic May After Approval, While doing this opracticalyy i will face Problems

Comment

Topics dont get closed until they have been idle for at least 6 months, so don't worry
            Suggestion -- if you have not bought the kit yet, get Server 2008 R2 -- 2003 is getting close to end of life
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I have Not Worked yet On Win 2008 AD Level !!! That is Also use full For me, But in this case Your help Is Must....!
              Or tel me any training kit Which i can refer via Simmilution.

Comment

www.trainsignal.com

And get hold of the evaluation (virtual) versions of the software from here:
                http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ard-drive.aspx

EDIT -- that requires HyperV (so server 2008 ) to run it on, but I'm sure MS do an evaluation VHD that will run on Virtual PC
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I have seen given URLs, Its So Coastly, i have Core 2 Duo Desktop Wiht 4 Gb ram. If Through Windows Virtual System I Install Windows 2008 R2 Demo Edition For Practice, is this possible Or Windows 2008 R2 require 64bit Processor ?

Comment

Re: setting Up New IT Infrastructure

Windows 2008 R2 is a 64bit operating system so requires a 64bit hardware platform.

If you decide to get some 64bit hardware, make sure you get a MINIMUM 8GB RAM. 4GB doesn't cut the mustard anymore especially if you are looking at setting up VMs in Hyper-V.

For a Production environment I would not consider anything less than 16GB RAM.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Here some help require;

server 1: Windows 2003 R2 64 Bit + SP2
                      After Os Installation The nework Setting Is IP:192.168.0.2 Subnet:255.255.255.0 Gteway:192.168.0.1 Prefeer DNS 192.168.0.2 Is this settings Correct Befor Running "DCPROMO"

server 3: Windows 2003 R2 64 Bit + Sp2
                      Here, IP : 192.168.0.4 Subnet:255.255.255.0 Gateway:192.168.0.1

But on DNS what Ip Address I need to give Before Adding this As Additional Domain Controller ?

Comment

Do you have an existing DC when you DCPROMO Server1?
                        If so, use its IP address for DNS
                        If not, use the local IP address

Have you given up on Server 2008? I understood you were still at the project planning stage
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Now Concept is cleared ! thanks,

What is best Advice creating All user in Default Container (USERS) or Creating users in departmental OU's ?
                          now Need to learn more about GPO creation / link GPO Etc. !!!

About Windows 2008 Not give up yet, I am making complte Planing which can help on next meet with Client !

Comment

Are you serious?
                            You are undertaking a major network setup and are acting as a consultant / contractor and you do not really understand about OUs and GPOs?

What training / experience of enterprise management do you have?
                            What roles have you held in IT?

OK -- quick answers, but you really MUST learn about these things yourself:

1) IMHO Put users into OUs -- they do not need to be departmental but that is a possible strategy (others are functional and geographical). If you don't, the users container is only affected by domain level GPOs so you lose the granularity of multiple levels (LSDOU) of GPOs

2) Run (do not walk) to your local bookshop and find a good training manual on Active Directory and GPOs. I like the MSPress Self Paced Training books but there are lots of others. Look at them and find one that seems to agree with you. Alternatively visit www.trainsignal.com with a credit card in hand. Then allocate yourself some time to study this.
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Are you serious?
                              You are undertaking a major network setup and are acting as a consultant / contractor and you do not really understand about OUs and GPOs?

What training / experience of enterprise management do you have?
                              What roles have you held in IT?
                              Want to tell you sir,
                              I am working In IT on very low setups ! you are the best that i know that why i am taking advice from you.

Concept clear means i have configured some small networks, just cross checking my knowladge
                              Sorry if my sound looks bad
                              Last edited by swapneel; 2nd June 2010, 08:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X