Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote server hangs ?

Hi All,

I've got a question and would like to know what is your suggestion in order to prevent this or dealing with this kind of problem ?

A Windows Server 2003 in remote area is hangs, the ping is still responsive but since the SQL Server consumes large amount of RAM and 100% CPU how to restart it remotely ?

I tried:

1. Remote Desktop - FAILED
    2. shutdown -r -m \\servername -f -t 1 - FAILED

Any other idea would be greatly appreciated.

... next time I should've setup my iDRAC (iLO equivalent in Dell Server) (-_-)"...

Thanks.

Re: Remote server hangs ?

I wouldn't do this unless you REALLY need to reboot remotely (and are fully aware you could pooch SQL and the OS), but if you remotely kill the winlogon process via pskill, it'll either auto-start the 60 second countdown for a reboot or immediately reboot.

Yes, get that iDRAC set up ASAP or get someone in front of it. Both are better suggestions.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would wait for a while to see if the CPU goes down.
      Else DRAC is the way to go. For now I would do it locally and you can configure drac straight away if it's included of course
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

thanks all for your reply.

luckily this is happens on Saturday morning, therefore I was head back to the server location and then push the reset button manually.

I'd suspect that this is because of the SQL Server getting hammered with the many open session from the VMwar vsphere console and also Backup Exec in progress plus Veeam Backup 4.1 deduplication HIGH priority

Comment

Since you gained physical access, did you try CTRL-ALT-DEL first?
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            Since you gained physical access, did you try CTRL-ALT-DEL first?
            yes I did, nothing happened
            i had to hard reset the serverwith holding the power button 4 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
              yes I did, nothing happened
              i had to hard reset the serverwith holding the power button 4 seconds.
              Ouch! I bet the database will be offline when you boot up. Start it in safe mode (not Safe mode with Networking) and check some log files to see what's up. Maybe you can then create a performance monitor, reboot as normal and collect some data, power it down if you still can't log in and then log in with safe mode again to see what process is eating up the server in the performance logs.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
              X