Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirection - Issues

Hello all,

I'm experiencing some issues with Folder Redirection that I've not yet run in to. I've requested so assistance from colleagues and we're all stumped. Hoping the community can provide some direction as this has always been my number 1 spot for answers in the past.

Server 2003 Std R2, enabling folder redirection via GPO. Folder redirection was never in place before in this environment, currently Home directories are mapped via AD.

after creating and enabling the the GPO to redirect both the Desktop and My Doc's of the users to a central share only the Desktop is redirecting. My Doc's is failing to redirect.

Here are some details:
    Redirected location:
    \\ead-server-1\Users1\ - currently with Everyone has Full perms for share. NTFS perms are as follows.
    administrators - full, this folder subfolders...
    creator owner - full control, subfolders and files only
    domain admins - full control, this folder subfolders...
    Everyone - traverse folder/execute, list folder/read, read attributes, read extended attributes, create folders/append data, read permissions. this folder only
    System - Full control, this folder subfolders...
    Users - full control, this folder subfolders...

The GPO:
    Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)hide
    Path: \\ead-server-1\Users1\%USERNAME%\

My Docuements is redirected the same way.

System/User Profiles
    Policy Setting Exclude directories in roaming profile Enabled Prevent the following directories from roaming with the profile: History; Local Settings;Temp;Temporary Internet Files;My Documents;Desktop

When I run a Group Policy Result from the DC on a workstation I see this:

Component Name Status Last Process Time Group Policy Infrastructure Success 5/24/2010 2:34:45 PM Folder Redirection Failed 5/24/2010 2:34:45 PM Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below.

The share is currently offline or does not exist.

Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events tab in the console or the application event log for events between 5/24/2010 2:34:44 PM and 5/24/2010 2:34:45 PM. Internet Explorer Branding Success 5/20/2010 6:53:11 PM Registry Success 5/20/2010 6:43:46 PM Scripts Success 5/20/2010 6:52:49 PM

The Error I'm seeing in RSOP on all workstations:
    Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below.

Additional Information:
    Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents.
    The full source path was <C:\Documents and Settings\kevin.schwartzer\My Documents>.
    The full destination path was <\\EAD-SERVER-1\kevin.schwartzer$>.
    At least one of the shares on which these paths lie is currently offline.

Other Info:
    this is happening on all the workstations in the domain on all the users. The one thing that I see is that the "Full destination path" isn't correct. I do not know where it is pulling this from.
    I want to stress again that the desktop redirection IS working and it is in the SAME GPO as the my doc's redirect.

I tested manually pushing the my docs to the proper location and redirection works this way as expected. however I have 70+ workstations in this environment and that is not a happy administration standpoint.

I have reinitialized offline cache and rebooted.

I've search the registry on multiple machines for the destination path that is in the error, it does not exist.

I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point as I've exhausted the points I know to look at.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Folder Redirection - Issues

Post a Report of your GPO using GPMC.

Did you prestage the user folders?

This won't matter but your NTFS permissions don't follow 'best practises'

Also the Roaming Exclusions policy will have no effect since Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection are two seperate things.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

Attached you'll find two reports. Through the process of troubleshooting and trial and error, currently the folder redirection is two separate GPOs. Since desktop redirection was/is working I created the second GPO to just do My Docs to see the result.

The NTFS perms have become slightly con-diluted as well due to all the hands in the cookie jar troubleshooting this.
      Attached Files

Comment

Did you prestage the folders; meaning you manually created the My Documents folder for each user?

With Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents it will fail to redirect if it was prestaged since the user won't have the rights to take ownership. Try turning off Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents.

Comment

I did not prestage the redirects. I created the Path on the server at D:\Data\Users and then shared that path, edited the share and NTFS permissions then enabled the GPO.

Originally the Grant user exclusive rights option was enabled for Both the Desktop and My Docs, however I disabled that during the process of troubleshooting as well. I see that it is still enabled on the new test GPO EADI - MyDocs, so I've disabled it and just varified that I'm still receiving the following from an RSOP.
          ----
          Monday, May 24, 2010 5:47:27 PM

Additional Information:
          The full source path was <\\Ead-server-1\Users1\leslie.fischer\My Documents>.
          The full destination path was <\\EAD-SERVER-1\leslie.fischer$>.
          At least one of the shares on which these paths lie is currently offline.
          -----

Currently the My Documents folder isnt being created in the user folders like the desktop is.

IE, \ead-server-1\users1\leslie.fischer\ this directory has a Desktop folder that was created on its own after the GPO was enabled, however there is no My Documents folder that is being created.

Part of what is still puzzling is the path it is pulling for the Destination Path. It does not look correct as compared to what is in the GPO for the destination path.

Comment

Try turning off Offline Files on the client and server side to eliminate that as a cause.

Comment

Thank you again for the suggestion. I'll perform the requested and post the results.

Comment

It's possible that we're headed in the right direction perhaps. After disabling offline files on the workstation and rebooting, the RSOP shows an error, though the details of the error have changed.

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:12:24 PM

The network path was not found.

Additional Information:
                The new directories for the redirected folder could not be created.
                The folder is configured to be redirected to <\\EAD-SERVER-1\%USERNAME%$>, the final expanded path was <\\EAD-SERVER-1\leslie.fischer$>.
                The following error occurred:
                The network path was not found.

I'm still unsure of where this path is being pulled from, <\\EAD-SERVER-1\leslie.fischer$>
                It's odd to me that it shows up with the dollar sign, not the GPOs destination directory which would be \\ead-server-1\users1\leslie.fischer\my documents.

Comment

What does the Event Log say?

Comment

I spent yesterday working through some of the offline file troubleshooting. Some of the suggestions I found were one's I'd already worked through. Attached is a log of the two events from the Application log on the workstation we've been testing with at this point.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X