No announcement yet.

Server 2003 COA and SBS licensing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 COA and SBS licensing

Hi All,

I'm going round in circles trying to work out MS licensing!

We have an SBS2003 domain currently, we need to add a Windows 2003 server as a member server to do some application testing on a new product.

To keep costs down, i've been looking at Ebay and ex bankrupt stock, ect for a second hand server.

If I buy a server complete with Windows 2003 COA, does this mean I have in effect bought the OEM license with the machine, and therefore can continue to use Server 2003?

Also if I introduce this as a member server into the SBS2003 domain, do I need to purchase additional CAL's (we are using user CALS) to access this machine legitmately, or is this covered by the SBS CAL? We are only going to use this machine as an application server, no Exchange/SQL ect.

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Re: Server 2003 COA and SBS licensing

For the licensing, you should be able to argue that the license is attached (via the COA sticker) to the physical PC so you have it. Mind you, the small print of the agreement probably says that the license is void if you buy the machine on a day with a "y" in it, or similar

For the CALs, I am really not sure. User CALs should allow a user to access numerous servers, so OK, but SBS is (as always) a law unto itself!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Server 2003 COA and SBS licensing

If you have the OEM COA and the install CD that came with it then I believe you are ok. If it is a Standard Server O/S then it should also have 5 CALS. If it is an Enterprise Server O/S then 25 CALS. Remember that an OEM version is tied to the Motherboard and NOT the Server.

If you install SQL or other apps that require a CAL on the "new" Server then you would need the appropriate number of CALs for that app.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015