how to accomplish DNS Replication on ADC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to accomplish DNS Replication on ADC

i have Server1 PDC with Server 2003 En and DNS is installed Locally .

server1(PDC)
    IP:192.168.1.1
    Sub:255.255.255.0
    Gw:192.168.1.254
    DNS:192.168.1.1

I have Server2 with 2003 Server En and I joined to PDC and Run dcpromo and select Additional domain control and now it replicating OU ,Groups and Users on PDC and ADC v/v

Server2(ADC)
    IP:192.168.1.100
    Sub:255.255.255.0
    Gw:192.168.1.254
    DNS:192.168.1.1 <<<<----- what is should for DNS replication purpose,
    Point to PDC or point to Its self(ADC)???

My question is how to make replication Both DNS Server, i want to install DNS server on Server2(ADC) so if PDC is off my users can connect through ADC without any probelm .

Please tell me how to replicate PDC and ADC DNS Server Records.????

1)Whether i have to install DNS Server on ADC Before Installing Active directory? so it can replicate To PDC

OR

2)1)Whether i have to install DNS Server on ADC after Installing Active directory? so it can replicate To PDC

3)What are the Primary and Secondary DNS address of Both PDC and ADC.

Thank and waiting ??????

Re: how to accomplish DNS Replication on ADC

Active Directory REQUIRES that DNS be present, to successfully accomplish a DCPromo in Server 2003. If your PDC already had DNS running, and now AD is replicating between both servers since the second one joined, then install DNS on the second server, make sure it's set as AD integrated, and then verify it replicates.

The PDC should point to itself first and Server 2 second for DNS servers, while ADC shoud point to itself first and Server 1 second.

Server 1(PDC):
    IP: 192.168.1.1
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    GWay: 192.168.1.254
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

Server 2(ADC):
    IP: 192.168.1.100
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    GWay: 192.168.1.254
    DNS: 192.168.1.100
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Please let me clear two things
      1)On ADC ,Whether need to install DNS Prior to installing Activedirecotroy through Run->Dcpromo ->

2)Set DNS Zone on PDC to be Ad-integrated OR on ADC-> DNS zone to be Ad-integrated

3)is it Possible to make ADC as a Global Catalog Server ? so no mater ADC down or PDC down

All of above doing is that , i want o create 2 DC so that one server goes down but other giving services to my clients and i don't need to bother after dieing of PDC or ADC .it should work like same as before

Then Again install new server it will be 3server and also replicate it with Previous ADC/PDC which now alive and give it GC rules ?????

How it can accomplished

thanks.

Comment

1) On the ADC, you should install AD first, then DNS, otherwise you will have to change the zone files from standard to AD integrated

2) AD integrated is strongly recommended as replication becomes more or less automatic and zones are backed up with the system state

3) Yes -- in a single domain forest all DCs can be GCs. Its only when you move to multiple domains that (IIRC) the infrastructure master should not be a GC

Remember you will probably want to put DHCP / WINS (if you use it still) on your ADC so if one goes down clients will still work happily

A third or fourth DC is just the same as any other ADC but unless your network is getting large, two should be enough.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X