DC time issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC time issue

On our DC Windows 2003 SP2 (holds all FSMO roles) the time is a couple minutes off and as such all the client machines have the same time.

It appears to have been using the internal BIOS clock so I thougth I'd point it to an external source, but I now keep getting:
    Code:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: W32Time
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 38
    Date:  17.5.2010
    Time:  12:45:32
    User:  N/A
    Computer: PC1
    Description:
    The time provider NtpClient cannot reach or is currently receiving invalid time data from pool.ntp.org (ntp.m|0x8|10.10.0.4:123->194.249.198.37:123).
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    then:
    Code:
    Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 47
    Time:  12:47:08
    Description:
    Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from  manually configured peer pool.ntp.org,0x8 after 8 attempts to contact it. This peer will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover a new peer  with this DNS name.  
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    and lastly:
    Code:
    Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 29
    Time:  12:47:08
    Description:
    The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.  No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time. 
    Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Re: DC time issue

How did you configure this?

I eventually got mine working by using the command line only. Check out my last post here:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=37422
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank you for your reply Blood. No GPO related to time settings seem to be configured and I just tried what you suggested.

It went fine until w32tm /resync /rediscover and I got:
      Sending resync command to local computer...
      The computer did not resync because no time data was available.

Any other suggestion, how could I easily test if the firewall is not an issue?

Comment

You can place more than one time source in the list. Have you tried that, in case the site you are trying to poll for the time is temporarily unreachable?

Comment

Yes, I've tried with multiple ones.

Comment

I'm out of ideas - there are a lot troubleshooting articles out there. It is worth searching the net for them. They explain variations on the same theme - syntax changes etc.

If you solve it, please post back with the answer.

Good luck.

Comment

I tried all sorts of things in the last two weeks or so before posting so if anyone has any suggestions please throw them my way, I'm more then willing to try a few.

Comment

I've always found this solution works:
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

Rather than using MS time servers (notoriously inaccurate), I use the ntp.org pool:
                http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you both, it turned out to be a firewall issue. NTP (UDP 123) wasn't open on that network segment.

My new problem now that the DC has the correct time is how do I get the clients to refresh theirs?

DCHP is used on our Juniper firewall.

Is GPO the way to go?

EDIT: btw I rebooted the client, release/renewed IP, forced GPO (probably not needed) and it's still not getting the time from the DC. NT5DS (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Pa ramateres\Type) is set on the client.
                  Last edited by CypherBit; 18th May 2010, 09:35.

Comment

GPO may wipe out your work.

Did you check out the last paragraph of my post in the linked thread - it explains how to configure DHCP so the clients automatically update. But, then you would have to install DHCP on one of your Windows servers to do this, unless you can set similar parameters on the firewall device.

Otherwise you could run the command in the thread that manually updates the clients with the correct information.

Comment

Thank you Blood, unforunatelly installing another DHCP server is really not an option. Is this only a DHCP setting, from my understanding in a domain clients shouldn't need any configuration, it should just sync up.

I did: w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update on one of the clients and restarted the time service, but nothing.

The time difference is 4 minutes, so I'm a bit worried I'd reach the 5 minute threshold and have all sorts of issues with loging in...that's why I'd want to resolve this as soon as possible.

Comment

Restart a client and run the command again, then check the System Event log. Filter it for W32Time events. What events are logged?

Comment

I restarted and have the correct time now!

I ran around the office and it's about half/half now. Some PCs have the correct time some don't...I'm not quite sure what influences this. All our DCs have the correct time now.

...hopefully I (we ) are at the end of this, I'll post back regarding the other half that still have the wrong time.

Thank you so much, the 5 min time difference was on my mind throughout this.

Comment

Pretty much all the machines have the new time now...the ones that don't (not sure why some don't have it by now) I just restart the time service and they get it immediately.

I checked my DC's (focused on the main one) and I don't see any W32Time events at all, nothing from the time I manually synced the time. Is that normal?

Comment

Yes - that's normal. I see the initial connection events 35 and 37 and then it is quiet until the next reboot.

The important thing is that all your machines are synchronised.

I regularly check the time on my client and it is spot on time-wise and it always shows exactly the same time as the server that is acting as the authoritative source.

I usually reboot my servers at least twice a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X