Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concurrent users - how to evaluate

Hi everyone,
    i am new to the forum and time has come for my first post to be written : - )

I have a Windows 2003 domain with 12 sites in different countries and around 15 domain controllers, and I would like to find some tool to audit and report about how many concurrent users we do have.
    I tried to install limitlogin (technet) but got some weird error messages and am not sure if that is the right tool to do this anyway.
    My goal would be to evaluate how many concurrent users we have over a period of time (like 3 weeks for example), and then order the right amount of licences of a specific software.

thanks a lot for your replies!

Matteo

Re: Concurrent users - how to evaluate

concurrent users how?
    Concurrent users browsing file shares?
    Concurrent users logging on?
    Concurrent users using a specific software application?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello,
      i mean concurrent windows users logging in the domain.

thanks,
      Matteo

Comment

Licenses on Microsoft Windows network is not based on concurrent login users, it is based on number of device or number of users on your network.

Comment

Depends on the software, I suppose -- some applications (not normally Microsoft) are licensed for concurrent users
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
            thank you for your replies...
            My question is still open: does such a tool exist? My need is to evaluate how many users are logged in our windows domain, over 15 different domain controllers, over a period of time.

Thanks a lot!

Matteo

Comment

Can you give us just a tiny clue what applications are involved?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Matteo View Post
                My need is to evaluate how many users are logged in our windows domain

Roll your own solution. Use Psloggedon from Sysinternals toolkit (Google it, 1st hit on Technet should do). Create a list of workstations for each domain, set one computer (maybe some server) to ping each ws every fifteen minutes or the like.l If one is online, get logged on user via psloggedon. You might want to install user profile hive cleanup tool too on the workstations, as otherwise you'll get false positives.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Can you give us just a tiny clue what applications are involved?
                  Sure: I need to evaluate what is the number of current users in our domain (how many users are in window at the same time), but in no specific application. I need this number because then we'll negotiate with Citrix to buy their licenses on a concurrent user basis, and would like to get a mostly accurate number....

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
                    Roll your own solution. Use Psloggedon from Sysinternals toolkit (Google it, 1st hit on Technet should do). Create a list of workstations for each domain, set one computer (maybe some server) to ping each ws every fifteen minutes or the like.l If one is online, get logged on user via psloggedon. You might want to install user profile hive cleanup tool too on the workstations, as otherwise you'll get false positives.

-vP
                    thanks. I will definitely check this Psloggedon tool out. It somehow surprises me that no ready tool exists, i thought i am not the first one in this position (trying to figure out how many users concurrently join our domain). Or do i miss some basics here?
                    anyway thank to all of you guys for taking your time to reply

Comment

Working...
                    X