Dhcp / Dns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dhcp / Dns

What will happend if ill open the DHCP screen and delete all the adress ?

will the dhcp server will give the computer a new adress ?

will it delete adress not in use ?

same for DNS lookupzones...

Re: Dhcp / Dns

If this is a server I wouldn't suggest it as its common for servers to have a static IP.

If this is a client PC and you have DHCP implemented you could get away with clearing the IP and DNS entries.

If you mean the DHCP management console, that's probably not a good idea unless you know what you're doing.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

oops, did it,

well as i have dynamic ip my server gave my clients new dhcp,
      kinda mess my isa server configuration but nothing happend...

1) do u suggest in a small network 40 computers to give a static ip so it would be easy to manage them with isa server or leave it with dynamic ip

2) i have a adress poll of 60 ip adress and actually working 25 computers, and it says i have only 3 left ! , what can cause that, i though that if ill dell the dynamic ips the dhcp gave mybe itll dell some not nessery ips but still its getting filled fast, yesterday i got 100% dhcp ip adress full but got only 25 working computer for sure, what can cause that ?!

thanks for your help my dear IT people

Comment

what's your dhcp scope like?
        what address range is free for distribution?
        is there a range excluded from distribution?

count the IPs in the range free for distribution, substract the ones exluded from it, and the result should be the IPs currently listed in the "address leases" plus the number of free IPs.
        Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

k, sorry to rise this subject back but i couldnt fix it not matter what i did or read...

the problem is that my DHCP is always getting full and i need to rise the bar of my computers, but i have only 40 computer in my network !!

my scop is from : 192.168.16.70 - 192.168.16.230 !!!

and for now it says i got only 3 more connection left when i do statics !

in the DHCP list it display only 20 computers out of my 40, i can say there is 5 with static ip and 4 network printer but i cant figure out were almost 160 adress went !

it come to a level were in the morning some users could not log in cuz it says the adress leases is full...

i tried to delete all of the adress leases in DHCP manager so itll give the new Adreses didnt work... i have no ida anymore... help would be gladly taken !

thanks

Comment

Why is your IP scope set to 192.168.16.70 - 192.168.16.230 ?
            Set your IP leases to 8 hours or maybe 24 hours.
            Please post the information that Chris has asked for.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ok, 1st, i reduce the lease time from 3 days to 8 hours.

2nd, the details that may help:

scope : 192.168.16.70 - 192.168.16.230 ip adress x.x.x.150 - x.x.x.159 are exluded.

leases time : 8 hours (now...)

number of clients shown on the DHCP is 40 , included the server name that appears 10 times.

anything eles that can help ?

Comment

i find it very strange that you are missing about 110 IPs. especially since they don't show in "address leases".
                never seen something like this. sure, i have some scope running out of IPs every now and then but when checking the scope options and running the calculations, it always adds up.

first thing i would try to determine now is if those "missing" IPs respond and find out the host names. run a ping -a command for an IP that should be free but isn't and see if it resolves into a name.

for example: ping -a 192.168.16.70
                Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

ok, went computer computer, wrote all Ips in use,
                  ping'd all "supposed to be empty" ips and they trully are.

DHCP Statics still show me low free ips (5 now) somthing is really wrong !

cant figure it out.. more help will be appriciated.

thanks

Comment

I wonder if RAS is chewing them up? I setup RAS on a test machine and without anyone dialing it DHCP has assigned 19 IPs to RAS.
                    I still don't understand your IP range. What subnet are you using?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

regular subnet 255.255.255.0

nothing special in my configuration, would it help if ill send a shot of my DHCP screen ?

Comment

Since you have 24 subnet, why not increase the number of available IPs to lease? That will remove the stress while you try and sort the problem.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thats smart ida

till now though that number of DHCP Ip adress should be as my CAL lincenses.

i can give all of the 255 ip adress range and and use only my cal limited and itll be legar, r8 ?

Comment

Working...
                          X