Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restore AD from backup.bkf error

Hi all,

I am working on a DR situation whereby I restore my AD from backup using NTbackup onto a different machine.

I installed the same version of W2003 R2 on this machine since we used the same version on our production AD server.

I followed the recommendation in Technet and ensure the partition is the same as the production server.

After installing the w2003 r2 on the test machine, I restore after I rebooted and choose Directory Restore mode. Restoring into original location is ok. After I restarted the machine, I had to use the AD server password to access. Strange thing is it prompt me that the evaluation has expired and asked me to activate via website. I could not bypass this and hence could not see whether the restoration is successful.

Any advice on this or is it something wrong with my restoration procedure?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: restore AD from backup.bkf error

If you restored system state onto different hardware it will almost certainly require re-activation. Can you access the telephone activation option?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is this a known fact about AD restoration? If I pre-activate my new machine, will I encounter the same thing.

Thanks

Comment

Not particularly about AD restores, but general MS practice -- change enough of the underlying hardware -- processor and MoBo -- and windows activation will kick in.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

restore AD to new machine

Hi all,

This may sound trivial to all but I would like to know how to do the abovementioned. Why am I asking this was because I am not able to log in to the new machine after I've restored my AD. Instead, it showed that I need to activate the windows which I find strange because I have activated the machine before the restoration.

It must have something I 've missed prior to the restoration, which I hope , anyone can help me with. Ok, to begin with, I installed the w2003 R2 on the new machine, following the partition size and any service packs I had installed on the production box. Of course, the production box is installed with W2003 R2. Afterwhich, I activate the new machine and restore the AD on it.

I hope anyone can shed some light.
          Thanks to all reply

Comment

Re: restore AD to new machine

New hardware, especially the MoBo and Processor, would trigger windows activation
            Is this the same machine you asked exactly the same question about here:
            http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=45976?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Re: restore AD to new machine

HI Ossian,

Yes, it is the same machine. I managed to clear the activation. Now, I do not see the AD users and machine, Ad sites and services etc. Do I need to run dcpromo and DNS?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X