Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Folder Reporting

Hey all
    I have a unique request from a client. They are looking to run reports on their file shares, to show who/what/when of access and file sizes to better manage this disk space. The tricky part is the file shares are cifs shares off of a SAN and not a windows server. So I can't recommend any tool that requires and underlying "agent" or involves normal event auditing.

I have also studied the option of moving this cifs share to a iscsi lun then it would work with any stock utility or script. The disadvantage is that the benefits of de-duplication and snapshot backups go away.

My questions are:
    What stock applications do folks like for file/share reporting?
    What tools are specific to just a share not and NOT the local file system?

thanks!

Re: Shared Folder Reporting

Please do NOT double post
    I have deleted your identical post in the misc forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I have deleted your identical post in the misc forum
      Wow. That was fast. You beat me to it.
      thanks.

Comment

No problem
        Can you give us a clue which OSes are involved?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

All servers are 2003 or 2003 R2. The san is NetApp.

The problem is getting reports from data on shares, not local disk, since the san's cifs share doesn't have an underlying "os" from which to run reports. However if there is a tool that can create sufficient reports it may be advantageous to use a LUN on an 03 box instead of cifs shares right off the san.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X