Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant access server by computer name

Hi

I need to access my server by computer name not IP address. I can only access it by IP address of which I dont want to. When I try by computer name it fails.even if when i try to ping it, the balck screen shows for about 2 seconds ans disappear.

Please help

Re: cant access server by computer name

What OS is the server (and the client)?
    Is this a domain or workgroup?
    How are IP addresses assigned?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Operations System
      server : Windows server 2003
      Client : windows XP

The server is a workgroup
      IP address are assinged manually

Thank you

Thami

Comment

Is there any device or server on the network that is providing name resolution?

Comment

Hi

No, not that I know of.

Thami

Comment

Well, that explains it!
            Clients will attempt to resolve names by broadcasts, but with limited effectiveness

Suggest you install DNS and DHCP roles on the server and all should be OK
            Even better, consider moving to an Active Directory domain and enjoy all the benefits
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi

Thanks. I am actually a software developer, I have developed an intranet for the organization which is hosted on this server so what I need is this. I want to access this site from the clients using a name not IP i.e I want to access this site like this http://Thami/KT/Home/Default.aspx not http://10.666.2.167/KT/Home/Default.aspx. So I dont know how to intall DNS and DHCP roles, How do I do this.

Thank you

Comment

I would ask your network admin to do it
                If you dont have one, you can add the roles using "manage your server" in Server 2003 and use the "next steps" to get help configuring (plus , of course)
                You may find it is better to get a consultant in -- they should be able to do it very quickly
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I will try to google it first.

Thank yu

Comment

Working...
                  X