Domain Name FUBAR Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Name FUBAR Issue

I first raised this over here: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=29265 but didn't think it prudent to re-open that as that was fixed and working.

Basically since I last posted about a year and half back that adding the IP to lmhosts solved the issue of getting to our www.domain.com all has been working.

However, the end server IP has changed and the problem is slightly different.

We've changed the IP and refreshed the cache but when trying to access it we just get "waiting for www. domain .com".

Short history to avoid having to hop over to the other thread is this:

When the W2K3 server was first setup it's AD name was called "domain.com" - a few years down the line we registered "domain.com" for our website and we couldn't access the website or our webmail. Well duh, our fault for not going with a different name or adding ".local" when first setting it up but whenever DNS went looking for the web is was getting an internal IP thrown back at it.

As I say, the lm/hosts file addition fixed it, but no more.

So, any ideas why the new IP is working as it did previously or any other suggestions we can try to fix this?

Appreciate any help.

Re: Domain Name FUBAR Issue

Since I was able to get to the external www.domain.com site immediately from the link in your post, I'm guessing you're talking about the internal users of your domain are the ones with the problem. It sounds like your internal DNS is to blame, in that it's not authoritative for that domain. If DNS is running correctly, you should never have to rely on an lmhosts for internal name resolution.

In your DNS setup, when you first enter in the name of the domain, you have to be sure and manually add a trailing period (or 'dot' or 'full stop') after the ".com". It's the one place where you have to do that yourself--in just about every other screen Windows will put it there for you, which is what makes it easy to overlook.

Good luck.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
      Since I was able to get to the external www.domain.com site immediately from the link in your post,
      Apologies - I meant to put spaces in so it didn't appear as a link. www. domain .com is NOT the domain name, I just used that as an example so as not to give away anything

I'm guessing you're talking about the internal users of your domain are the ones with the problem.
      Again apologies I should have made that clearer. I thought I'd covered everything but ....!

However, to get to the meat of your reply ....

It sounds like your internal DNS is to blame, in that it's not authoritative for that domain. If DNS is running correctly, you should never have to rely on an lmhosts for internal name resolution.
      Internal DNS is working just fine.

The problem is that the Active Directory name is the same as the externally hosted and registed .COM

lmhosts in this case is not being used for internal name resolution but for re-directing traffic that would be for www. domain .com to the externally hosted .COM as otherwise internal DNS goes looking for a www on the DC - and not surprisingly doesn't find it. The simple fix (as a test) was to put the external IP and www into lmhosts and as I said initially that worked.

Now the IP has changed and it no longer works.

Good reminder about the fullstop after the .COM but in this case that doesn't apply to the issue.

Comment

Anybody?

Otherwise I'm going to have to go through renaming the domain - at least I don't have exchange or anything ultra weird to worry about.

Comment

i'm somewhat confused.

You have a single domain name, let's call it something.com
          THis is the same both internally, and externally.

so if I try and browse to www.something.com I get your website, hosted by an external provider.

but yet if you try from inside your network to browse to www.something.com, it fails.

Is this correct ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            i'm somewhat confused.

You have a single domain name, let's call it something.com
            THis is the same both internally, and externally.

so if I try and browse to www.something.com I get your website, hosted by an external provider.

but yet if you try from inside your network to browse to www.something.com, it fails.

Is this correct ?

Yes - exactly that.

Comment

righto.

create an A-Name record for your external host, in your internal zone, if that makes sense ?

so you should have
              WWW A 209.85.229.147

in your internal zone...
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                righto.

create an A-Name record for your external host, in your internal zone, if that makes sense ?

so you should have
                WWW A 209.85.229.147

in your internal zone...
                Makes perfect sense and unfortnately made no diff. Even reloaded teh serevr to ensure DNS was fully cleared. No errors in the logs.

NSlookup works and shows the internal server IP and external website IP correctly.

Can ping and tracert the external site with no problems.

If it makes any difference IE simply says: canmot display the webpage - whilst firefox flickers between: connecting to and waiting for.

Comment

Did you try clearing the entries you made previously from your lm/hosts file and see if it works.
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                    Did you try clearing the entries you made previously from your lm/hosts file and see if it works.
                    Yes - double and triple checked

Ran ipconfig /flushdns afterwards and even restarted the DNS service for good measure.

Finally have run: dnscmd /ZoneExport to investigate the entire setup as a txt file and can see nothing wrong.

Comment

All is now ok - well almost.

It dawned on me when the hoster asked something that the 'other change' made was that the site is now using Wordpress and this has canonical redirects builtin - so every request to www was being redircted to the non-www version and consequently looping back to the DC which had no idea what to do with it.

Now I just need to remove the redirects and they should be good to go.

So thanks for any assists and head scratching done along the way folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X