Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Syncronization

Hi Dears,

I have one query related to backup windows server. I have one windows server 2003 that running some application along with MS SQL Database so rightnow i need to setup their backup server if this one down then second server automatically UP with the same data, database.

Please can you tell me any good steps.

Regards,

Saeed

Re: Server Syncronization

You need clustering (requires Server 2003 Enterprise) and a SAN type storage device, accessible to both servers, with the live database on it

If you can accept a relatively short downtime, you can use log shipping to synchronise the databases between two servers but you will need to replay the logs and point clients at the new server IP if the first one fails.

Which version of SQL Server is it?

Lots of information on on both methods
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ms SQL 2005.

In my mind i can use the R1soft or any software to synchronize the database and files on the backup server after any interval of time.

what would like to suggest me.

Regards,

Comment

Not a product I am familiar with but I suspect it has the same issues with SQL as the log shipping method does

You want automatic failover -- clustering is the most effective way.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok thanks,

How can i setup with clustering option?

Regards

Comment

first, you need an enterprise version of microsoft windows server (not standard)

then you need a shared disk backend.
            then you need to review some other document and procedure guides on it, and ask pointed questions, rather than just "how do I do it"

Plenty of others have written plenty of posts, articles and guides on how to setup a cluster...
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X