Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows time synchronization with different time zones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows time synchronization with different time zones?

Hi all,

Im new here so (please) be nice!!

My servers' clocks are running 5 minutes fast and I want to sync them to an external source, so it then replicates to all the clients. I think I need to do this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

My question is:

I have a UK site and a Frankfurt site. If I configure the PDC will that then change the times on the Frankfurt users and servers to the same time? If so then it would be wrong as I need the Germany users to stay +1 BST. Or will it take the time from the PDC but then automatically +1 hour as long as the time zones are set to Germany?

Also on this step:

4. Specify the time sources. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\W32Time\Parameters
    2. In the right pane, right-click NtpServer, and then click Modify.
    3. In Edit Value, type Peers in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Note Peers is a placeholder for a space-delimited list of peers from which your computer obtains time stamps. Each DNS name that is listed must be unique. You must append ,0x1 to the end of each DNS name. If you do not append ,0x1 to the end of each DNS name, the changes made in step 5 will not take effect.

What would I put for the peers?

Sorry for the long 1st post!

Re: Windows time synchronization with different time zones?

No worries
    Everything runs on UTC internally, then displays according to the time zone in Regional and Language Settings

For peers, do a google for NTP servers (but avoid time.microsoft.com as it is often out)
    I use multiple pool.ntp.org servers
    0.pool.ntp.org,0x1 1.pool.ntp.org,0x1 2.pool.ntp.org,0x1 3.pool.ntp.org,0x1
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Windows time synchronization with different time zones?

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      No worries
      Everything runs on UTC internally, then displays according to the time zone in Regional and Language Settings

For peers, do a google for NTP servers (but avoid time.microsoft.com as it is often out)
      I use multiple pool.ntp.org servers
      WOW! Super quick response!
      Thanks Ossian.
      Yeah I didnt want to use time.microsoft.com if I could help it!

Comment

Working...
      X