Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to modify desktop shortcut with Group Policy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to modify desktop shortcut with Group Policy?

Hello,

The path to the file server is changing for a group I support. The end users all already have desktop icons that point to the current path in the All Users desktop folder. This shortcut was placed there in the computer image and not by group policy.

I have very limited experience with group policy and would appreciate advice, here.

From where I'm sitting, it appears that the best route would be to modify the already existing shortcut, however, I don't know if that is correct since the shortcut was not created with group policy. I suspect that that doesn't matter but just makes it a little more involved.

I also have no idea how to go about doing modifying the shortcut, as all of the documentation I've been able to find is on using GP to create a desktop shortcut from scratch.

If someone could 1) confirm that modifying the path (as opposed to deleting the icon and creating a new one) is the best method, and 2) give me some idea as to how I would go about that, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for your time,
    Gwendolyn

Re: how to modify desktop shortcut with Group Policy?

The normal suggestion is to create the shortcut on a network share and use a logon script to copy it to the desktop folder

What Client OS are you using?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      The normal suggestion is to create the shortcut on a network share and use a logon script to copy it to the desktop folder

What Client OS are you using?
      The clients are all running XP. I'm not sure I quite follow your suggestion. Do you mean store the shortcut on a network share, or to create the icon from scratch using the new path?

Comment

I mean create the icon from scratch by copying a shortcut from a network share
        So if the shortcut is called MyShortcut.lnk and is stored on \\server\share, you would have

copy \\server\share\MyShortcut.lnk "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%"
        Note the quotes are required to escape the spaces in the target
        %username% will resolve to the current logged on user

Tested from command prompt (and works) but not by script
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          I mean create the icon from scratch by copying a shortcut from a network share
          So if the shortcut is called MyShortcut.lnk and is stored on \\server\share, you would have

copy \\server\share\MyShortcut.lnk "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%"
          Note the quotes are required to escape the spaces in the target
          %username% will resolve to the current logged on user

Tested from command prompt (and works) but not by script
          Hey,

Thanks for taking time out to help me with this.

In what you just posted, are you saying that that would create a new desktop shortcut with the new server link? If so, to turn that into a logon script, would I just type that in notepad and save it as a .cmd file?

Also, if that will create a new shortcut, how would I delete the old shortcut? And why is it better to create a new and delete the old rather than just modify the existing one?

Thanks for your time!

Gwendolyn

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_g View Post
            Hey,

Thanks for taking time out to help me with this.

In what you just posted, are you saying that that would create a new desktop shortcut with the new server link? If so, to turn that into a logon script, would I just type that in notepad and save it as a .cmd file?

Also, if that will create a new shortcut, how would I delete the old shortcut? And why is it better to create a new and delete the old rather than just modify the existing one?

Thanks for your time!

Gwendolyn
            Hello,

I just wanted to add that I did realize that if I gave it the same file name as the
            old .lnk file that would take care of having to worry about deleting the old, obsolete shortcut.

However, in looking at what you wrote, I would like to make sure I understand this. Does the first half create the .lnk file and tell it where it's pointing?

And does the 2nd half save it in the "all users" folder? (ie, does the %username% have the net effect of saving it to the "all users" folder?)

Thanks again,
            Gwendolyn

Comment

No, %username% does a copy for each user

You would need "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop"

Note I forgot Desktop in the above -- sorry
              Also I do not know if All Users requires admin permissions

This does not create the lnk file, I assume you have done that once and copied it to a suitable server share
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X