Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cannot Authorize my DHCP server whatever I do...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot Authorize my DHCP server whatever I do...

I have a primary domain controller running DHCP and DNS, and a secondary domain controller running just DHCP. I want to have the secondary DC updating the DNS on the primary DC as and when it leases addresses out to clients. However, I can not get the secondary DC DHCP to authorize!?

What do you guys & gals think is wrong, I'm about to try installing DNS on the secondary DC as well to see if that works but I don't think it will...

I have tried pretty much everything I can find on Google, removing ranges, adding them back in, stopping and restarting services to see if it makes a difference, but I have had no luck so far.

Note: Primary DC is on a 10.0.0.0/24 and the secondary DC is on a 10.1.0.0/24 network. There is a gateway which both can communicate to each other [ping/traceroute works] and I do not want to use the secondary DC as a relay.

Re: I cannot Authorize my DHCP server whatever I do...

I assume the DHCP ranges/scopes are different?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Wait! You're talking about DHCP Authorization, or DHCP Scope Activation???

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

DHCP Authorization...

I've tried removing the server as a Domain Controller, and got rid of the Active Directory, then joint it back to the domain and them run 'dcpromo', but I'm now getting this error:

Active Directory could not create the NTDS Settings object for this domain controller CN=NTDS Settings ....
        ... Ensure the provided network credentials have sufficient permissions
        An internal error occurred

It's gone from bad to worse...

Comment

So you're trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer?

Remove AD just so you can authorize DHCP?

After you sort out your AD problems (for which you'll have to open a new post) you need to logon as Enterprise Admin and perform the authorization. Note that if you've used that account when you've installed DHCP, and the server is also a DC, the DHCP should be automatically authorized.

Also, you can check under Sites & Services > View > Show Services Node. There, go to Services > NetServices and see if there is an object called DHCPROOT for the DCHP server.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Quote: So you're trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer?

You could say that... I'm now thinking of paying a Microsoft techie to help me out [something like 700 a day] just so they can sort these two problems. It's so strange, I've never come across anything like it before. I've searched google and other search engines and nothing comes up. [well one thing about forcing kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP, which I have done]

I don't think anyone infact has had this problem before. I've tried what you said, and there's no joy. The comany I work for are getting a little annoyed to say the least, so if I get someone in who can deffiently fix the problem then it's going to be a lot less stress and I can just get on with other important things in regards to the setup of the system, what a drag it's led to this.

However, thank you for your help, if anything I have learnt a few new tricks
            Last edited by kibble; 5th September 2005, 12:11.

Comment

Working...
            X