Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single label domain

Hi every one
    In future i will plane an upgrade in a domain nt4, a single pdc, 18 wks, and a w2k3 server member.
    The actual domain was configured without a dns server because many years ago the internal domain was unable to surf internet and all the pc was w98.
    The structure of the domain is domain name without extension (i.e. domain name: domain)
    Well if i will upgrade the operating system to w2k3 i ve in mind a lot of confusion:
    1 create a bdc
    2 install in the bdc the new os
    3 stop the original pdc
    4 use the new os
    In this condition the new domain is configured as a single label domain, is it safe use the utility provided with w2k3 for rename a domain and create i.e domain.lan or otherwise internal extension (not registered in internet)
    hopefully someone help me
    thanks gian luca

Re: single label domain

I'm trying to piece together your question(s) so If I have missed something shout.

If your PDC hardware can handle Win2K3 then just run a direct upgrade on this server.

Your "single label" domain name AKA NetBIOS domain name, will remain within the system but the upgrade will also prompt you for a DNS domain name, this doesn't even have to resemble your NetBIOS domain name, but must be a valid DNS domain.

I personally never use publically availble domain names internally I just use domain.local.

You will also need to install a DNS server as this is a fundamental requirement of directory services, this DNS server can then be setup with forwarders for external name resolution.

Hope this helps
    topper.
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Re: single label domain

If your PDC hardware can handle Win2K3 then just run a direct upgrade on this server :
      No is an older Pdc with poor hardware power, and the reason for i will use a bdc is for keep a second chance if something wrong during the update.

I personally never use publically availble domain names internally I just use domain.local:
      I agree with you i use a name such as domain.lan for internal domain
      Thanks
      Gian Luca

Comment

Working...
      X