Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding active directory security group target folders

Hi,
    I am attempting to tidy up and improve security on our Windows 2003 network. The problem, not unique to me is that I need to find which security groups have access to what as my predecessors did not descibe the purpose or scope of the respective groups. In other words, if I have a group called say "Operational Risk" what resources do they have access to? Has anyone found a tool that will do the job? I have found postings on other sites and none appear to have come up with a solution.

If one of the members can come up with a solution I will be very grateful as indeed my boss, auntie edna, uncle jim & sister cruella.

Re: finding active directory security group target folders

How about AccessEnum?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897332.aspx
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Bloodbuster,
      Thanks for the tip, I did however find a tool also offered by SysInternals called AccessChk which I am also investigating and would appear at first glance to fit the bill more closely. That said any further ideas would be appreciated. There must be something out there that will do the reverse engineering I require.

I live in hope.
      Last edited by agedmcse; 26th April 2010, 15:24.

Comment

I recently documented all the shares/permissions on my NAS and used AccessEnum and ShareEnum to do this. I then merged the output using Excel and created a spreadsheet that revealed all.

Comment

Sounds good,
          I launched ShareEnum from command line as an administrator, the gui popped up and has been sitting there doing nothing. Any ideas?

Comment

Hit the Refresh button.

Comment

I had tried that previously to no effect on both our SAN host and a Domain Controller. The dropdown gives 3 options <All domains>,<IP address range>,our netbios domain name. If I select domain name (we only have the one) nothing happens. If I select <All domains> then refresh it says 1 request pending and goes no further. Selecting <IP address range>then configuring details of one of our VLANs does produce output albeit with the warning "Information may be incomplete because you are not a domain administrator for the selected domain"

Comment

I am able to run it from my WinXP machine without issue. My account belongs to the domain admins group.

Perhaps it is a firewall issue?

Comment

Ran it from my Windows 7 PC and it works a treat now although I still get the warning.
                  Very strange.
                  Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X