No announcement yet.

Couple of problems (probably standard)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of problems (probably standard)

Hi all,

I have been interested in getting to networking and thus I am currently experimenting setting up a simple network with windows server 2003 to set up a server-client environment.

I have set myself give phases I want to accomplish in regards to the testing for the simple network I am doing.

Now I am currently on Phase 1 itself and I am having problem with the DHCP setup.

Now the problem is that when I installed the DHCP service and created a scope, I setup the IP addressing range as 192.168.x.1-254 and now I can't seem to add any of the ip address ranges for the devices listed in my ip addressing plan (listed above). My question is how can I achieve what my plan has within DHCP in server 2003 (For example: server within 192.168.x.x-xx, clients within 192.168.x.xx-xxx and so forth)?

Also when scripting for user accounts I want to generate 30 test accounts for my OUs which have the following structure:

Departments - OU

How would I generate a vbscript for that?

Thanks,
    Max
    Last edited by Max Power; 21st May 2010, 11:08.

Re: Couple of problems (probably standard)

hi max, for your script, you state the domain is perth.smith.local
    yet your script has
    LDAP://dc=perthsmith,dc=local
    It should probably be dc=perth,dc=smith,dc=local

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't add any of the ranges.
    Basically - you've added your total range, now you need to create reservations for devices in the relevant ranges, or just remove them.

Ie,you could just set your total range to 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.200
    address your servers using a static ip rather than dhcp, and the same for printers.

am i helping at all ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      hi max, for your script, you state the domain is perth.smith.local
      yet your script has

It should probably be dc=perth,dc=smith,dc=local

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't add any of the ranges.
      Basically - you've added your total range, now you need to create reservations for devices in the relevant ranges, or just remove them.

Ie,you could just set your total range to 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.200
      address your servers using a static ip rather than dhcp, and the same for printers.

am i helping at all ?
      Thanks for the reply, mate.

I will give the script a go later once I get this stage sorted.

So if I just add reservations within the address pool, that should be fine?

Also, I'm interested in your suggestion. How would I go about assigning static ip's for the servers and printers? For the printer, when I set up the printer server would I set the addresses there?

Thanks,
      Max

Comment

that's right - using the printer console, or web interface, or however it's done dependant on the printer.

to set a static ip on a server, simply use the tcpip configuration page, and set an IP rather than configuring dynamically..

alternately,if you have the reservation created, then it'll provide an IP to the relevant mac address.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks mate!

I have set the DHCP scope for clients only and I will assign the other IP's statically.

The script also works now!

Though, I might repost in this thread if I encounter more problems along the way.

Comment

glad it worked out for you

Comment

Hey mate,

I just want to confirm that I add the ip addresses for the servers/other network devices in the IP settings section of the Advanced TCP/IP config, right? No problem or anything, just want to make sure that I have done it properly.

Cheers

Comment

you don't even necessarily need to go into advanced options
                control panel > network > select interface, right click and choose properties.
                select TCPIP, then click properties.

You can now select either "Obtain an IP automatically" or "use the following address"

Comment

Having problem joining XP to the domain.

So yeh, I have tried using the two methods for domain join I know (creating a computer object in AD and then trying to change the xp computer to join the domain and setting up the xp computer's dns server to the IP address of server and then trying to change the xp computer to join the domain ) and the errors I keep getting are:
                  1. The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses: 192.168.xx.x. Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.

If I choose the automatically obtain IP address and/or DNS server option in XP, it comes up with:
                  1. A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host.
                  or
                  2. No DNS servers configured on the local system.

Any idea to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Max Power; 21st May 2010, 11:00.

Comment

First of all make sure that DNS is functioning on your domain controller. Also, I think it is good practice to point your DNS server at itself (192.168.25.1) rather than the loopback address (127.0.0.1).

Next, make sure that any firewall on the client is allowing communication with the LAN.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

name resolution is the most likely problem here, as discussed by blood.

follow his suggestion - changing your dns entry on the SERVER to be it's own address, not 127.0.0.1

then from your workstation, make sure you can ping domain.com and server.domain.com

Comment

Nope, no luck still.
                        Last edited by Max Power; 21st May 2010, 11:01.

Comment

ok so the windows 2003 server is a virtual guest, hosted on top of the windows XP, am I correct ?

I suspect it's something to do with the network configuration of the virtual network.. what software are you using for virtualisation ?

There's usually a few options:
                          Direct, NAT or Host-Only.
                          direct is like a direct network connection. NAT is where it's natted onto your normal network. Host-only means it can only communicate with the host...

I'll let you have a think about what it currently is, and what the most appropriate could be...

Comment

Hey mate,

Both are virtual machines at this stage. I run them side by side. As I said I am getting into networking so I just want test it out before I actually set it up.
                            Last edited by Max Power; 21st May 2010, 11:01.

Comment

Hey guys,

I fixed the problem. I forgot to check the server firewall which was blocking LAN connection.

Onto to setting up the disks and GPO deployment!

Thanks for the help though, guys. Might need more soon

Comment

Working...
                              X