Recomended minimum server disk space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomended minimum server disk space

This might spark up some debate but is there a recommended or official limit on how much free disk space you should have on a server?

Iíve always thought you need at least 15% of the total disk space free so you could run defrag. Other people I know say 10% free.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Recomended minimum server disk space

It all depends! Is that for the system partition or else? size of the partition etc. What is the server used for and what else is installed on the server and how. 10% might be ok for one server that doesn't see much data change/increment but it may be at critical point for another.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I like system partitions to have as much free space as possible. I prefer 76 or 140GB (or whatever the common sizes are... I forget) drives for the system partition. Let it take up the whole drive on a single volume. Don't install anything else on it if you can help it. Install extra apps on a different set of drives. Let it sit there and enjoy the outer cylinders of the spindles even if it's only taking 20 or 30GB. Get a defragger that can specifically place the data on the outermost cylinders. Of course, this is all talking about DAS mostly. Things change totally if we're speaking of boot from SAN scenarios.

As for other scenarios, L4ndy is right. It depends. However, I do enjoy having decent free space. Maybe I'm spoiled by cheap storage. I want to see heaping masses of Terabytes of free space on my SharePoint server. The print server? Meh... couple GBs should do. Until someone tries to print a skyscraper sized poster of Jessica Alba.

My wrath will be felt.

Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

The server in question controls our dialler (telecoms). We have a system called Nagios which monitors aspects of the server. One aspect is the disk space & it keeps going down and down. The developers keep filling it up.

Its currently at 6% free space

Comment

IMHO too low
          Do you have multiple partitions or just one?
          How big are they? (Gb sometimes more important than %)
          What is taking up the space?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, just re-checked and I have the following:

C$ 58.5 GB total - 9.80 GB free
            D$ 154 GB total - 7.90 GB free
            E$ 19.5 GB total - 10.5 GB free

It looks like they have cleaned some files up after me nagging at them constantly.

Comment

Assuming the OS is on C, that is low but adequate
              You could look into the Windows folder and move the update files (not $hf_mig$) but all the other $NtUninstall folders to another drive
              Also look for un-needed profiles and nuke them and do a search for tmp files
              (you probably know the drill....)

btw, what server OS is it?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Server 2003 Std

Comment

Which drive(s) is your swap file on?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Who ever set this up set it on the C$ drive.................. would I be right in thinking this should be on another drive?

Comment

IMHO yes
                      You will need a minimum size on the C drive (16Mb IIRC) or more if you want to store full crash dumps
                      I would recommend 2 x RAM on another drive -- put max and min sizes the same to avoid it expanding "on the fly"
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

I think the bigger problem isn't so much that the drive is low, but what is the rate that it's being filled up? If the devs are filling it up, then can you get them separate storage? Even if you can only afford a LaCie Quadra external drive, configure it as RAID 1 and hang it off the server by USB. Those are about $300... I've bought 4 of them for various purposes and am very happy so far.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Absolutely agree with that. Always keep your users off a server's system drive.

I try to keep as much free space as possible. Don't want any excuse for the OS to grumble!
                          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                          X