Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The remote connection has ended (Happened Suddenly)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The remote connection has ended (Happened Suddenly)

Hi everyone,

I have a weird thing that happened at a client's office. He has a single server running AD and Terminal Services(Windows Server 2003), with only 5 TS cals. TS is only used by a branch office, for only 3 users, so it can't be a CAL issue.

Everything was woking fine yesterday afternoon, and this morning no one can connect to the TS, having the "The remote Connection has timed out" error. The server is reachable by pinging IP address and FQDN, the shared folders are still accessible and working fine...

PS: It doesn't work locally either, i.e., from a workstation at the main office. I also tried to do a mstsc from the server itself, and we still have the same error !!!

EDIT: No firewall appliance, Windows firewall disables everywhere, no security application...

Could you please help?

Thanks

LF
    Last edited by chayolle; 20th April 2010, 08:27.

Re: The remote connection has ended (Happened Suddenly)

Can you logon to the console of the server ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes I can...

Comment

ok.. it's likely a service problem, if you have definitely ruled out transient network fault.

When was this server last rebooted ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Rebooted just after the problem was found, but still no luck. Also, windows update is off, so it cannot be an update issue...

Comment

Any events in the Event Logs???

Comment

None requiring any kind of special attention... Getting crazy with this. Maybe removing the TS role and re installing it will do it?

Comment

Well, I tried to restore to last known good config, still no luck...
                I tried to uninstall TS Licensing / Reinstall TS lincensing / Reactivate Licenses, still no luck...
                I tried to remove the TS Role, enabled remote desktop connection only, and even this fails with the same error !!!

Looks like I will have to format :S

Comment

what happens if you just try and telnet to port 3389 on the affected server ?

Comment

I can telnet the server on 3389...

Comment

does it just disconnect you immediately, or do you get a blank prompt ?

*edit*
                      check this: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...t-using-m.aspx
                      in particular, about the 3rd response down - seeing if the RDP5.2 connection exists.

Have you upgraded the RDP client on your computers recently? Maybe they asre somehow configured to require security before connecting, and the server isn't offering it..
                      Last edited by tehcamel; 23rd April 2010, 09:55.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have not upgraded any RDP Clients recently. As I said, nothing has changed in the setup / configuration / topology before the problem started.

It's not giving any blank screen, just "connecting to servername" and then the timeout error...

Thanks for the links ,I'll have a look and revert back

Comment

It's not the same error as described in your link, but I tried it and still no luck ! Grrr :S

I'm heading towards a backup / format / restore :S

Comment

Backup / Format / Restore tomorrow afternoon

Comment

Working...
                            X