Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Product Activation 2003

Hello all,

I have a machine with a Windows 2003 server OEM installed.

Having done a repair of the master boot record Windows now tells me:

"This copy os windows must be activated with microsoft before you can
    continue. You cannot log on until you activate windows. Do you want to
    activate windows now?" YES / NO / CANCEL"

When pressing YES / NO I'm sent back to the logon screen where I can go round and round and round and round and round and round... etc...etc..

Any ideas TO bypass the logon screen to do the activation ?

Thanks alot,
    Paulo C

Re: Windows Product Activation 2003

Originally posted by filewalker
    When pressing YES / NO I'm sent back to the logon screen
    So what are you pressing? YES or NO?
    Did you use the OEM install CD that came with the Server?
    Have you tried the second Repair option that installs the O/S over the top of what is there so you don't lose and apps that are already setup.
    What is the Server setup as? Member Server or a DC?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

I used a Windows 2003 Std Edition OEM CD from Microsoft to make the repair.
      I dint use the Dell CD because its damage and i don't have a copy

The server is aplicational and part of one DC. I'm ruining a production database on that server.

I have tried the [YES] and [NO] option. The result its the same. I cant get past the log on screen.

Can i start in safe mode and do activation their ?

Comment

Safe mode with networking, or be prepared to fight your way through telephone activation!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

But its possible to run the activation aplication on Safe mode with networking ?

Comment

I've never tried it, but you have nothing to lose by doing so
            Please report back!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I tested this > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us < in a XP and works.

I will now try on a win 2003 server.

Comment

Hi to all,

CAUSE
                This issue occurs if Windows Internet Explorer 7 is already installed when you repair the Windows Server 2003.
                This issue occurs because mismatched Internet Explorer 7 files prevent the Windows Product Activation Wizard from starting.

RESOLUTION
                To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start the computer in safe mode. To do this, follow these steps:
                1. Restart the computer.
                2. When you see the Please select the operating system to start message, press F8.
                3. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
                2. Log on by using an account that has administrative credentials.
                3. Click Start, click Run, type %systemdrive%\Windows\IE7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK. The Windows Internet Explorer 7 Removal Wizard starts.
                4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
                5. Restart the computer, and then log on again by using an account that has administrative credentials.
                6. When you are prompted to activate Windows, click Yes. The Windows Product Activation Wizard starts.
                7. Follow the instructions in the Windows Product Activation Wizard to activate Windows.
                8. Reinstall Internet Explorer 7. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
                http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx)

Thanks alot,
                Paulo C

Comment

Working...
                X