Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add on hdd in windows 2003

I have existing server with 2 RAID drive

1 is for only operating system(win 2k3 sp2 32 bit)
    2 is for file sharing

2nd logical drives space will be full in few week, i want to add 2 more hdd which can merge in 2 lgcal is not possible...!

If i take backup of 2nd logical drive then, i will break RAID 1 Of 2nd drive and will add 2 nos HDD
    and will configure it as raid 5 this can resolve my space problem BUT,

while restoring data on this drive can change my sharing and security permissions will change or not?

without lossing this sharing permission i want to do this please suggest me the way.

Thanks

Re: add on hdd in windows 2003

Is it hardware or software RAID?
    If hardware, what controller -- some will allow you to re-configure "on the fly"

IMHO, though, the best way is to backup, create the new RAID array, repartition and then restore data. Backup will (depending on the software) retain permissions
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you can successfully add the drives to the RAID array then you should be able to use diskpart to extend the partition as long as it doesn't have the pagefile on it.

Comment

It is a Hardware RAID- RAID 1 is configure with 2 Nos 146 GB HDD,
        Raid 8k Controller (IBM)

I think whitout Breaking this existing raid 1 i cant create raid 5 bcoz i have only 2 nos extra hdd.

can i use xcopy / o swich for backup....???

Comment

You may want to look at Ghost as a solution. You can capture a drive image with whatever partitions/volumes on it, and once you have your extra drives added and the new hardware RAID configured, you can restore to the logical drive and even re-define the volume sizes during the restore operation. I had to do that exact process on a series of working servers with RAID 1 mirrors, but the volume definitions were sized wrong.

All permissions, etc., restored without a hitch. Very versatile tool.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

You won't be able to extend the partitions when it is a raid 1 array.

What backup software are you using??

I know for a fact that backup exec will restore your NTFS permisions bt NOT your share permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

I know for a fact that backup exec will restore your NTFS permisions bt NOT your share permissions.
              There is an RK utility called (IIRC) svrCheck or srvCheck which will export and import the share permissions

Edit -- that tool only lists them, but there is another tool - permcopy - which does export and import
              http://forums.techarena.in/server-migration/90876.htm
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                There is an RK utility called (IIRC) svrCheck or srvCheck which will export and import the share permissions

Edit -- that tool only lists them, but there is another tool - permcopy - which does export and import
                http://forums.techarena.in/server-migration/90876.htm
                Thanks Tom.

Didn't know about them.

Comment

For safer side finally i created new raid1 without breaking existing RAID array and its assigned for new users only,

Thanks For all your support.

Comment

Working...
                  X