No announcement yet.

Global Catalog problem

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Global Catalog problem

    I have a perplexing problem that I am hoping you can help me with. I have two aging servers that I am trying to replace. The first is a domain controller I will call DC_OLD. DC_OLD is a Windows 2003 server that appears to have been upgraded from a previous OS at some point as it has a WINNT folder. DC_OLD currently hosts all 5 FSMO roles as well as the Global Catalog. (I know, I know…)
    The second is my Exchange server I will call EXCH_OLD. EXCH_OLD runs Server 2003 SP2 and Exchange 2003 SP2. I made sure to run Exchange domainprep before installing the new Exchange instance.

    I have another Server 2003 SP2 box that I will call DC_NEW. I have run dcpromo on this server and set it as a Global Catalog server. Everything indicates that DC_NEW is functioning as a GC. I have the 1119 event ID, I have the registry entry regarding the GC promotion event, it shows up under the gc folder in the _msdcs container in the DNS management console, it resolves as a GC using NSLOOKUP. Netdiag and dcdiag pass all tests on DC_OLD and DC_NEW. Replication is working properly according to repadmin and replmon. In the event viewer of EXCH_NEW I have a MSExchangeDSAccess event 2080 saying that DSAccess has discovered DC_NEW with the following characteristics:
    DC_NEW.mydomain CDG 7 7 1 0 0 1 7 1 which means that DSAccess sees DC_NEW as a GC.

    However, when I go into the Directory Access tab in Exchange System Manager and select All Domain controllers only DC_OLD shows up. Same thing when I select Global Catalog Servers. If I uncheck Automatically discover servers and manually point to DC_NEW it shows in the Directory Access window as GC under type. Using these manual settings makes Outlook non-responsive and I get MSExchangeDSAccess topology error 2102 in the event viewer.

  • #2
    Re: Global Catalog problem

    I ran Exchange 2003 domain prep on DC_NEW and all is well now!