Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely remove orphaned domain controller

Hello All,

I am having a problem with one of domains I manage. I recently installed a new Domain Controller in our organization. After moving Global Catalog, FSMO roles, DNS, DHCP and WINS, the old server was re purposed (OS Reload) without first running DCPROMO to remove the computer as a domain controller.

I ran ntfrsutl ds on the server and found null Server-Reference attributes for the deleted DC. The old DC does not appear in Active Directory Sites and Services, but if I fire up ASDIEdit, the server appears under
    Tree Structure

DC=[domain name],DC=local
    CN=System
    CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL)
    CN=[OLD DC NAME] <-- Am I able to delete this?
    CN=[NEW DC NAME]

What I want to do is completely remove the old DC from the domain completely. I has been removed from AD Sites & Services & the machine account in AD under Domain Controllers.

If I delete the above entry will ntfrsutl ds return clean output (i.e. no nulls)? Is there any other place I should be looking for references to this server? I want all references completely gone.

Can somebody help?

Re: Completely remove orphaned domain controller

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X