X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send notification Alerts Server2003

Hi everyone,

I`d like to setup alerts on a Server2003 when monitoring the performances:
    Because I have no time to monitor it on a daily basis I would prefer to setup the Server itself to send me notification ( if possible on my email ) and alert me on disk utilization, RAM , CPU, ...etc.
    Is that possible?

I am trying to work it out by myself, the only configuration I can see is :
    "Send a network message to" in
    Performance Logs and Alerts>Alerts>Properties>Action

and insert name of my computer in the same LAN. It does not work.

Any help very appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Send notification Alerts Server2003

I looked into this a while ago, and decided to use Event Alarm. It's reasonably cheap and can be configured to send email alerts to your mail account. It is highly configurable.

Just one problem with it - it incorrectly formats the Date: field - without a + for the time difference. Use a compliant mail client and the messages are dated 2000 when listed. The correct date is shown in the message headers when the message is opened. Other than than that, it's great.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Look into SPA 2, you can schedule and get very rich reporting, e-mail notification etc
      Here for more: http://www.petri.com/server-performa...erver-2003.htm
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks both for the infos. I really thought Server2003 had those "facilities" included and free.
        I am going to look into the SPA2 and check if it does not load too much the server.

I have also solved the problem with the "network message", starting the "Messenger" service.

Thanks
        Again

Comment

I`d like to post another question if possible regarding a similar issue:

SERVER2003: I have created a new alert that triggers a log in the Event Application as soon as the Hard Disk (C:\) falls under 10MB.
          LogicalDisk(C:\) \ % Free Space
          Alert UNDER 10000 (=10MB I think)

My C:\ drive has 100GB still free but I keep receiving the same alert:

Counter: \LogicalDisk(C\% Free Space has tripped its alert threshold. The counter value of 69.5036251360245 is under the limit value of 10000.

Comment

Lets think about percentages here.....
            Your free space will range from 1 to 100% but you want to be alerted when it falls below 10,000% (i.e. always)

You will either need to monitor actual free space or select a suitable percentage value
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,
              that makes more sense. I have a HD of 40GB and set the alert at UNDER 5%, I think it will trigger at 2GB, if Im not mistaken again.
              Last question, do I have to think in percentage for all the performances here?

Comment

NO, only when the performance counter mentions % somewhere in the name

Basically, counters are either numerical values or percentages
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X