DC Hell - Inheriting a crippled DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Hell - Inheriting a crippled DC

OK. I am about done with what has been a hellish customer situation, but have one last step and having problems. We inherited a client who has a 2003 Standard Server running Exchange 2003. The trick is that you can't log onto the box either on console or directly. This appears to be some sort of licensing issue (we have not been able to get the previous IT group to cop to anything).

Long story short, we use the remote admin tools to do a lot, but obviously we needed to move away from this server. We got some new hardware ordered, but in the meantime introduced another 2003 server to make it a DC and install Exchange so we could at least administer them in the meantime. Bit of a headache, but eventually got all this running.

The 2008 machine came in and we now have everything over on it. The two issues are:

1. How do we remove Exchange off of the bad server since we can't run uninstall?

2. How can we properly demote the bad server?

For #1 we got down to the point of trying to delete the old server out of the Exchange tree, but get warnings about the Public Folder (they have nothing there). It won't let me delete them so I tried to move the replicas over to our temp 2003 server and it says it is doing it and it may take a long time, but nothing. They are still there.

For #2 I have considered using a remote cmd tool and running dcpromo with a /answer file to demote the bad server, but not sure if this will work.

If I do #2, will it clean-up #1?

Thanks,

Brian

Re: DC Hell - Inheriting a crippled DC

Can you use the remote cmd tool to install another remote client such as VNC?

Are you in a position to build a new domain?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No position to install VNC, etc. Basically when you try to login it takes you to an interface to enter the CD Key. Of course the client doesn't have the CD and the IT group that was here is long gone. Even if I had VNC loaded, it will not let me past this. The server operates, just can't do a thing on it. Not really in a position to build a new domain as we just brought in the new 2008 server into this domain and all is operational. Just need to kill this server from the domain and Exchange.

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

So it is an unlicensed (or at least un-activated) copy of Server 2003?
        Do you have a license key (on an OEM sticker on the server, perhaps?)

If not, make a formal demand for it from the previous support company and "shop" them to Microsoft if you need to!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X