Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstall Windows Server 2003 OS on server running DC & Exchange

Hello All,

seeking expert advice on reinstalling windows server 2003 on the server running DC & Exchange with the same host name and IP address.

Current Scenario:

- Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
    - Domain Controller | DNS | WINS | Internet Gateway
    - Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
    - Exchange running locally only [no emails in/out from internet]

Migrate to:

- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Ed.
    - Domain Controller | WINS | Internet Gateway | WSUS
    - Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

We have an application server running Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed.

I have gathered some information about reinstalling/migrating DC & exchange but still unsure the best way to do with easy method.

Here is my plan for DC:

- Promote Application server as secondary DC
    - Transfer FSMO | GC
    - Demote First DC
    - Reinstall server with the same name
    - Promote as DC

Doubts:

- Will i have to transfer FSMO & GC again to new DC ?
    - Which is the best method to backup and reinstall ?
    - Will it restore exchange users or only mailbox and other settings?

Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Re: Reinstall Windows Server 2003 OS on server running DC & Exchange

If you have Exchange on a DC you have major potential issues with it all!
    IMHO, if you have the budget:
    Get 2 new servers (one can be temporary)
    Make one (temp) a DC and the other (permanent) Exchange
    Move all Exchange mailboxes and PFs to the new Exchange server and uninstall on the old one
    DCPromo the old server to remove AD (FSMOs will transfer to the other server)
    Format and reinstall
    If required, move Exchange back to the (rebuilt) old server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks ossian for your reply.

Well no enough budget for new servers but can arrangeTEMP server just to move exchange data and restore back to rebuilt server

My questions:

- what method i use to move exchange data?
      - do i need to use forestprep or domainprep command on TEMP server and again to rebuilt server ?

Comment

Since you are going to 2003 Enterprise, you have the ability to run up to 4 guest OSes under Virtual Server (pity you cannot go to 2008 and HyperV). This will allow you to separate roles but IIRC the host OS should not run anything except the guest OSes. Your hardware will need to be up to it as well.

Look seriously at separating the DC role and Exchange -- it really is NOT recommended to have Exchange on a DC. Do a little to find out more.

Moving exchange is done by setting up another server and moving the mailboxes, then doing the same in reverse. You also have to move public folders, connectors, recipient policies etc -- it is a well documented process

If you are moving from 2003 to 2003R2 you will need to forestprep and domainprep first, otherwise not needed
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks once again.

No plan to go virtually either.

@DC and Exchange: Yes i am very much aware of it that it MUST not be on the same but since it was already setup before I take up the task and now no support from management to go for new.

Yes, will do exchange task as you suggested.

and yes, moving from 2003 STD to 2003 Ent R2. Did you mean that i have to run forestprep and domainprep on Temp exchange server and vice a versa ?

Comment

You run Forestprep and domain prep on a DC before you upgrade

Did you take my point on virtual PCs?

Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise HOST (not a domain member) running Virtual Server with:
            1) Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise DC
            2) Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise with Exchange
            room for 2 more VPCs if you need to

Do some research into the consequences of Exchange on a DC and show your management the risks

What are the hardware specs of the server?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

well it has been told to management but no action so surviving with what we have.

about Virtual PCs, I have never worked with Virtual Server so not sure if things go fine.

Dell PowerEdge 2950

- x86 Intel Family 1.8GHz
              - 2GB RAM
              - 300GB

Comment

I would look at a swing scenario.

Setup a temp server. It can can be a High level pc (As long as you have good backups)

Install server 2k3 on the pc. Swing roles and install exchange and move mail boxes and connectors.

Backup again, uninstall Exchange on old box. Dcpromo out. AD edit to confirm old server is out of network.

Reinstall 2k3 , make DC and Exchange. Swing back. I think there will be a lot less headaches going that way round then inline upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba.Steve.za View Post
                  I would look at a swing scenario.

Setup a temp server. It can can be a High level pc (As long as you have good backups)

Install server 2k3 on the pc. Swing roles and install exchange and move mail boxes and connectors.

Backup again, uninstall Exchange on old box. Dcpromo out. AD edit to confirm old server is out of network.

Reinstall 2k3 , make DC and Exchange. Swing back. I think there will be a lot less headaches going that way round then inline upgrade.
                  Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                  X