Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time sync issue

Hi,

I am trying to sync a nt4 server with a 2003 ad server. The nt4 server is in a workgroup and i am using a script to try and sync the time of the nt4 server with the 2003 server which is part of our domain.

i have checked the firewall and the routes and all communication looks good. the error log comes back with system error 5 access is denied.

Has anybody any ideas what i may be missing?

Thanks

Re: time sync issue

What command are you using to sync?
    AFAIR (NT4 was a looonnnngggg time ago) you can use
    NET TIME \\servername /set
    where \\servername is the name of your 2003 server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

NET TIME usually only works in a domain, it has no support for specifying credentials. You can try pass-thru authentication by mirroring the user account used to launch NET TIME on the NT box with an account on the domain member you're syncing with.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to look at 3rd party.

Comment

The Windows time service can work in both workgroup and domain env. It also doesn't need to authenticate. The only difference is that in a domain the service synchronises automatically based on the hierarchy of the system it runs on, whether in a workgroup it needs to be configured manually.
        Ossian's suggestion should work just fine providing you have a proper name resolution in place, otherwise you could use the IP address of the DC.
        About the issue, It may be worth checking the credentials the service runs under and the dependencies.
        Last edited by L4ndy; 31st March 2010, 18:29.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Windows Time Service = w32tm

NET TIME = an application, not a service

Comment

Following a bit of googling, this works (tested with non-domain XP box):
            net use \\server\ipc% /user:[email protected] password
            net time \\server /set
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X