Consolidating servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidating servers

I currently have two file servers where users home folders are located on.
    Basically My Documents were manually redirected (Properties, Target Folder Location) to one of the servers (randomly) and Work Offline was enabled for that folder.

I need to consolidate all home folders on one server only (the other one is being decommissioned). I'd naturally like to use GPO to do so, but am not quite sure as to how to approach it.
    Ideally users need to have access to their My Documents and shouldn't even notice anything is being done. Also the offline sync to the previously, manually created home folder should be removed (they need to syn to the new server only).

More then 95% of the machines are XP and a couple of Win 7, DC's are Win2k3.

EDIT: since my mind is heavily set for transitioning to Win2k8, I posted in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by CypherBit; 28th March 2010, 07:33. Reason: Wrong section of the forum.

Re: Consolidating servers

How about setting up DFS between the servers and redirecting the My Docs to the DFS share
    Then you can remove the old server from DFS and they will stay pointing at the other one

Re your comment on servers -- what OS are your ones using?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I never messed with DFS before, but am naturally willing to go that way as well if that's what it takes.

I'd just like to add that there are only about 20 users on one of the servers.
      One server is Win2k3 the other is Win2k3 R2.

Comment

OK, thanks -- I'll move this to the 2003 forum then
        For 20 users, maybe do it manually (over a weekend perhaps)?
        Here is a good link on DFS so you can form your own jusdgement:
        http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...le-System.html
        Last edited by Ossian; 28th March 2010, 11:00.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That's what I'm thinking now. I can easily move the 20 or so home folders from one server to another, but what I'm worried about is the client machines (with XP and 7).
          Since pretty much all of these are laptops that people take home how will I:

- remove the previously created offline files link? I don't want them trying to sync with something that isn't there now.
          - point them to the correct server (GPO probably)?

Comment

Ossian (or someone else), can you help me out with how do I:

- remove the previously created offline files link? I don't want them trying to sync with something that isn't there now. Is there a GPO setting for this, even if the redirection was peformed manually to begin with.
            - point them to the correct server (GPO probably)?

As said I can easily copy their home folders to another server, but am unsure how to go about solving this for all of them on the client side.

Comment

Working...
            X