No announcement yet.

Did the FSMO role transfer sucessfully ... Really?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the FSMO role transfer sucessfully ... Really?

I have a Windows 2003 server AD setup. We have 2 old hardware that I am replacing with two new boxes.
    I have installed WIndows 2003 SP2 (that is our current Domain level)as due to the mixed mode.
    I moved 4 of the five roles to the new server ok (all but the PDC role) and things were working ok.
    server 1 had all but Schema, second server had the schema role, the PDC emulartor was on the original box.
    I transfered the PDC role to the new system. I have had an issue with 1 server that it keeps loosing its connection. I found that if I pull the network cable on that box and then run an NBTSTAT -RR replug the cables in it will work.
    I was going to move the role back to the original server ot see if there was something amiss with the new boxes but the role will not transfer. The operation times out. (ADUC not responding)
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NTDS Replication
    Event Category: Internal Configuration
    Event ID: 1837
    Date: 3/25/2010
    Time: 6:05:49 PM
    Computer: OLDADSERVER
    An attempt to transfer the operations master role represented by the following object failed.

Current operations master role:
    CN=NTDS Settings,CN=NEWADSERVER,CN=Servers,CN=NAWD,CN=Site s,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com
    Proposed operations master role:
    CN=NTDS Settings,CN=OLDADSERVER,CN=Servers,CN=NAWD,CN=Site s,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com

Additional Data
    Error value:
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    I was able to transfer it to another server got the following error , not sure if it is related, it does not seem to be but wanted to confirm:
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MSDTC
    Event Category: SVC
    Event ID: 53258
    Date: 3/25/2010
    Time: 6:30:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ADOLDERVER
    MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings. Error Specifics: %1
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Re: Did the FSMO role transfer sucessfully ... Really?

No need to worry about the last error, it's a known issue.

Run Netdom query FSMO to see what servers AD thinks hold the roles. If you haven't already download/install the 2K3 Support Tools and run Replmon and make sure that AD replication is functioning properly. As a worst case scenario you can always seize the FSMO roles.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Did the FSMO role transfer sucessfully ... Really?

The Operational managers and the netdom query / fsmo
      reports that the roles are transferred.

Thanks for the confirmation.