Event Type: Error
    Event Source: VSS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 13
    Date: 3/25/2010
    Time: 8:12:58 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NAWD103067
    The user name DOMAIN\OLDUSER specified in registry (SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessCo ntrol) does not map to a real user name. The entry is ignored.
    This was a previous admin that is no longer here and so the AD account is gone as well.
    I have been doing some reading on this and see 2 ways of dealing with this.

1. Rename the account to a current administrator. (or an account that is attached to the admin group such as a backup user)

2. I have also seen the listing of deleting the Reg key "VssAccessControl" from that server.

What would be the best method of dealing with this issue? the renaming seems to me to be a band-aid fix, and when the next time that account gets changed it is going to be back to the same error. Any thoughts?

Re: VSS Event ID 13 on Windows 2003

Check it the VSS service is running on that account in the service console.

The VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) is actually running as a Local System not as any account.

The only service that I see running as that user is a "Special Administration console Helper"

Can you just try to take a back up of the below registry key and then delete the user key from the registry point. Check if this sorts out the issue. This is probably just the userid which is creating the problem.

By default there should not be any entry, so it is manually edited. Try removing the key value of the userid and post back the output.

Thanks, have taken the snapshot, just changed the username for the moment. Looks like it is happy. or at least not complaining.