Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question regarding licensing

Greetings.

Let's say I have 2 Windows 2003 Standard servers.

1 handles all of the network shares/storage, DHCP, DNS, folder redirection, etc. 25 people use it for at least 1 of its roles in one way or another, everyday. (on their own personal computers)

the 2nd 2003 server does nothing but internet content filtering. but since it is directly in between the internet and all of our clients, every client must pass through it to use the internet. the internet is used daily by all 25 people. (on their own personal computers)

would this mean that i need to have 50 user or device CALs? seeing as how for the majority of daily operations each computer uses both 2003 servers?

Re: Simple question regarding licensing

User or Device CALs allow one user (or device) to connect to unlimited servers
    So you should need only 25 CALs in your scenario
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Really? What about prior versions?

Lets say I have 5 Windows 2003 Standard servers, and 50 workstations that people use throughout the day.

Does that mean that since I only have 50 possible workstations that I only need 50 device CALs, total for the entire site?

Now lets say that I end up adding 2 Windows 2003 Enterprise servers- do the 50 Windows 2003 CALs I already have cover those as well since they are still 2003 servers?

Now lets say that I end up adding 2 Windows 2008 servers--- would that mean that I now need 50 2008 CALs because the 2003 CALs dont cover 2008?

Comment

Now lets say you talk to Microsoft Licensing in your country because your "Let's say" additions are getting complicated and MS Licensing is complex and complicated at the best of times.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Agree with Biggles on getting specific answers, but in general for you scenario, you should need:
          50 2003 CALs (Device) to allow 50 devices to connect to unlimited 2003 Servers
          50 2008 CALs (Device) to allow the same 50 devices to connect to unlimited 2008 Servers
          (From Microsoft -- establish if your 2008 CALs allow "downgrade licensing" to connect to both 2003 and 2008 )
          Note Server 2008 R2 has different licenses so you may need to go through the same exercise again!
          Last edited by biggles77; 22nd March 2010, 12:21. Reason: Fix smilie issue 2008)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X