Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dns issues

Hey Guys,

I have a problem that i hope you can help with in the fact that im unable to browse internet due and nslookups are not working, what i have had to do is set the gateway IP, to all the clients in DHCP server just to get internet. These are the errors i get in DNS Event viewer

"

Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parmeters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.) If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.
    The DNS server could not open socket for address 192.168.0.1."

And

pastingThe DNS server could not bind a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) socket to 192.168.0.1. The event data is the error code. Restart the DNS server or reboot your computer.

and

pastingThe DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

I have scrawled the Ms tech site but no joy, iand done everything reccomended in the event viewer.

Thanks in Anticipation

Re: dns issues

What is running DHCP and how are your clients configured???

Comment

Please post an IPCONFIG/ALL from your server and from a problem client
      Is there any difficulty with static settings?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This could be due to multiple issues. Start from here ------

1. Check the DHCP scope options for DNS/Name server's ip if it is properly configured.

2. I suspect you have more than one IP address attached to NIC on the DNS server which is causing the name resolution issue for the external addresses. If you configured private & public IP address in the single NIC, take out the public IP and add it in the forwarders list.

3. Make sure you configure your forwarders in the DNS with the public IP of the ISP's DNS server.

4. Once this is done, tell the clients to renew their ip address and check if its working.

Comment

NSLOOKUP Result
          DNS request timed out.
          timeout was 2 seconds.
          *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Timed out
          Default Server: UnKnown
          Address: 192.168.0.1

IPCONFIG

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.200 (This is added just for internet access, temporay work around)
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
          192.168.0.200 (This is added just for internet access, temporay work around)
          Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Comment

Doe the machine 192.168.0.1 have DNS installed on it???

If it does then you need to add a Reverse Lookup Zone to DNS to clear that message.

If not then you need to change you Primary DNS to an IP that has DNS setup on it.

How is your network setup??

Comment

Yes this machine has DNS Installed, it does have a reserve lookup zone setup.

We have a watchguard router, and all traffic is supposeed to be routed through the server.

Comment

Then you have to see the watchguard Router settings,
                It seems there is some configuration which prohibiting to access the internet.

Comment

So are you telling me that in DNS i change the forward address from there isp dns servers to the watchguard, i think not?

Comment

You just need to add the isp DNS server ip to the dns forwarder list...i think this will help you.

Comment

that is already in forwarders list

Comment

I am not very clear on your DNS infrastructure.

Can you provide the following ?

1. What is the ipconfig for your internal/local DNS server?
                        2. Have you created the host record & reverse lookup zone for the ISP IP address.
                        3. 192.168.0.200 is this your router inferface ?

Comment

Ip Config From intenal DNS / DHCP and AD server
                          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.200 (This is added just for internet access, temporay work around)
                          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                          192.168.0.200 (This is added just for internet access, temporay work around)
                          Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

2. Not to sure what you mean there is a reserve lookup for the internal server

3. yes that is router

Comment

How many internal DNS servers do you have and what are there IP addresses??

Have you added your ISP's DNS servers into the forwarders tab in your DNS server?? This is critical as you really shouldn't be using your router for DNS in an internal network.

Are there any ACL's on the watchgaurd that will stop DNS resolution to external sites??

Did you get your NSLOOKUP issue resolved by adding the reverse lookup zone and adding the DNS server to that zone??

Have you tried this??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc978704.aspx

Comment

Working...
                            X