Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profile migration failed using Windows explorer manual copy

Hi All,

I'm at the final stage of migrating an old demoted DC server, now I'm stuck in migrating/copying the roaming profiles of the users from the old win2k server (oldServer1) into the new win2k3 server (newServer1)

there are lots of profiles which points into the old server:
    \\oldServer1\profiles\user1
    \\oldServer1\profiles\user2
    \\oldServer1\profiles\user3
    \\oldServer1\profiles\userN
    in the ProfilePath

I'd like to move it into:
    \\newServer1\profiles\user1
    \\newServer1\profiles\user2
    \\newServer1\profiles\user3
    \\newServer1\profiles\userN
    I tried to copy paste from my DOMAIN\Administrator account but it is failed to copy ?
    i cannot even browse inside the directory of user1 until userN ?
    is there any fastest way to do the copy process rather than "taking ownership" for each of those directory one by one ? [hopefully by taking ownership the user will still be able to use their profile normally]

Thanks.

Re: Roaming profile migration failed using Windows explorer manual copy

To migrate user profiles and home folders you can use robocopy command line utility by creating a batch file. Remember for profiles to get copied successfully, you need to ensure users are offline else it would skip files from the profile folder.

If you donot have rights to see user's profile you may not be able to move them. so make sure you have access at least read only to your domain user id in order to accomplish this task.

Comment

Originally posted by jainal View Post
      To migrate user profiles and home folders you can use robocopy command line utility by creating a batch file. Remember for profiles to get copied successfully, you need to ensure users are offline else it would skip files from the profile folder.

If you donot have rights to see user's profile you may not be able to move them. so make sure you have access at least read only to your domain user id in order to accomplish this task.
      thanks for the reply, I'll use robocopy after I do the following:

"Right click the folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > owner > Click the administrator and then tick the box "replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

cmiiw

Comment

Take the ownership of the root folder under which all the user profile resides. This will take less time instead of taking individual profile access respectively.

Try to check Accessenum & accesschk utility from sysinternal. This may help you.

Comment

Working...
        X