No announcement yet.

TEMP Profiles

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEMP Profiles

Hi all

At one of my client sites, one user keeps getting TEMP Profile and others users get it here and there.

It's a SBS 2003 domain, PC's all running XP Pro.

This never happened until recently, and I dont know what has changed. Nothing major for sure.

To fix, I have to use MoveOnBoot to delete the NTUSER.dat file in the TEMP directory. I cant delete it myself while logged on as admin becuase "it is in use by another process".

After that they can reboot and log straight back on.

All users running Local Profiles. Everything else works perfectly otherwise.

Here are the event logs:

Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. 
     DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.  for C:\Documents and Settings\darren\ntuser.dat
    Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator. 
     DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Windows has backed up this user's profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backed up profile the next time this user logs on.

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Re: TEMP Profiles

Try to check if any permission is missing on the profile folder for the respective users. Also, if they reboot the workstations and then try to login is it still the same?

have you checked the RSOP for any client? check if something strange is applied to them both computer setting & user end perspective..

There are no permisions errors, and after I have deleted the TEMP folder in Documents & Settings the user logs on and all is fine for a day or 2.

If I dont get rid of that TEMP folder, logging on with/without reboot ends up as a Temp Profile again.

Never used RSOP before, but I'll look into that on Wednesday when I'm onsite.

can you tell me what are the users profile configured as like, local/normal, roaming, mandatory profile and are you using folder redirection and shared drives.

temp profile issue comes when user is not able to load it's own profile and then it has to use a temp profile.
        Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Local, non mandatory, no folder redirection, 2 shared drives but for data only.

Have you tried to log him in different workstation or desktop just for testing purpose. If this works fine in other desktop/PC then you may need to just make the existing profile as old and let him login with a new profile.

Also, check for the size of the user profile. If this is too heavy then try to shrink it down taking off unnecessary items from the users desktop to the local drive.

If this also does not work then try to install User hive cleanup utility from Microsoft on that PC/desktop. This will allow the user's profile to successfully unload and reload during the log off / logon process.

I actually had this problem with one particular user, her my documents like all of our network users is redirected to a network share. There was one file or series of files actually in her redirected folder that was causing her to lose her complete profile. Once I removed the following folders and file from the root of her home path, the profile began to "remember" itself. This was on a network recently upgraded to from 2003 domain controllers to virtual 2008 R2 server DCs.

The files I removed from her redirected folder were and then problem was fixed:

.DS_Store (~16 KB in size)
              ClientBackup (hidden folder)
              Network Trash Folder (hidden folder)

Good luck,