X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 shares

Ok I'm in Server 2003 >File Server Management

First of all:
    There are some default shared folders like: C$, IPC$, Microsoft UAM Volume, NETLOGIN, Sysvol, VPHOME, VPLOGIN
    I know the last two have to do with corporate antivirus, but I want people to join the domain and not have to see these folders since they aren't going to need to put their data into them. Is there a way to hide them so they don't have to see them?? I do think they still need to be shared though.

Second of all:
    Can I create a share so only certain people in the domain see it when they logon? How?

Re: Server 2003 shares

Originally posted by andrena
    Ok I'm in Server 2003 >File Server Management

First of all:
    There are some default shared folders like: C$, IPC$, Microsoft UAM Volume, NETLOGIN, Sysvol, VPHOME, VPLOGIN
    I know the last two have to do with corporate antivirus, but I want people to join the domain and not have to see these folders since they aren't going to need to put their data into them. Is there a way to hide them so they don't have to see them?? I do think they still need to be shared though.

Second of all:
    Can I create a share so only certain people in the domain see it when they logon? How?
    Don't worry about the default shares no one will see them.

As far as your 2nd question, one thing you can do is put a $ behind any share and it will by default become a "hidden share". Your other method is to go into the properties of that share and assign permissions to it. You can add groups or users to it and give them what ever permissions you would like. You can deny any users/groups this way, and give others what ever permissions you want, like give a certain user or group read only access.

Comment

Working...
    X