Remote Desktop not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop not working

I have been working on setting up a Windows 2003 R2 server. New challange: I am attempting to set up Remote Desktop. This is what I do at the server: Right click on 'My Computer', click on Remote, Enable Remote Desktop in this computer is checked, BUT, the Select Remote users is grayed out so I can not add users to remotely access the server. What have I done wrong? All services related to Remote desktop are running. Thanks in advance.

Re: Remote Desktop not working

Is it in a domain or workgroup?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Under the local users and group for that server, are you able to see the group called "remote desktop users" ?

Are you able to add any users in that?

Check the local/domain policy for this server in case you're not able to add users...

Comment

It is in my domain. I can ping the server.

Comment

I do not see the local users and group at all

Comment

Originally posted by TTomy View Post
            I do not see the local users and group at all
            Did you go to the Users and Groups control panel? Shortcut is: Run >> compmgmt.msc >> System Tools >> Local Users and Groups. Look for the "Remote Desktop Users" group in the groups folder.

Furthermore, are you certain that there is no GPO that is being applied to that server? Try running GPResult and lookgin at which GPOs are being applied. From there, you can see if remote desktop policies of one form or another are being applied.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Is it a domain controller? If so, you will not have "local users and groups" but will need to use ADUC to manage domain users and groups
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X