Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 CAL's?

Hi,

If I have a Windows 2003 standard server and I need to add 5 user CAL's to it what does that involve?

I know it seems like a basic question but I've never done it before. Can I just add the CAL's to the server or do I need to set up a terminal license serving server? If I need to set up a server can it be that same server and can I restrict the usage to that server? How long does it take and is a restart required?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Server 2003 CAL's?

Assuming your licensing is in "per user" mode it is more a matter of honour than configuration
    You have a licensing console (NOT TS licensing) you can add the licenses to but many admins disable the licensing service and keep paper records
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Assuming your licensing is in "per user" mode it is more a matter of honour than configuration
      You have a licensing console (NOT TS licensing) you can add the licenses to but many admins disable the licensing service and keep paper records
      So I need to ask whether the client wants per server or per user licensing?

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

If they have multiple servers, dont go anywhere near per-server licensing (IMHO)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
          So I need to ask whether the client wants per server or per user licensing?
          If I could be so bold as to make this suggestion... you need to tell them whether they need per user or per server licensing. Or maybe the way I handle people is a bit too brash. I am an American after all.

Seriously, after spending some time researching the thorny mess that is Windows Server CALs, the proper model will become obvious to you (or something close to it) and you'll be able to tell them what they need without their input. It's a bit like your doctor asking if you need an appendectomy. "You've got the X-rays! Just make the throbbing pain go away!!"
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
          X