Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000

I wish to setup a DC in my organisation. It will support upto 10,000 users and will run exchange server. I also want the users to use OWA. Assuming about 3000 ot these users will access their mail concurrently, what would be the estimated hardware requirements for this new server?
    Kay

Are you seriously considering using only ONE server? (This really is a serious question.)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i agree with Biggles77!!!

do you really mean the following???
      1 new server with the following roles?

DC + Echange + OWA + DNS and all FSMO roles??????????

and maybe file and print service?

i've got about 150 users, got 2 dc's 1 seperate exchange server and one seperate server with OWA and our website...

give this a little impression?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I assume this was a spoiler...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Why do I think this is a homework question?

Seriously -- 10K users = lots of servers. There are unanswered questions. How many physical locations, what bandwidth between them, what data-storage (files and mail) requirements?

If you need one DC only, do Cray make a Windows Server?

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No!!

Ya the screw up is back.,..funny (buggy) !!!I just need to know what is the maximum number of users win2k can support if i can only have 2 servers in my domain.
            Kay

Comment

If its just "numbers of users", Windows 2000 can support several tens of thousands (Unlike NT where the SAM database would support 5000 users only).

Its not just the users, its all the ancillary stuff like mail storage, file storage, profiles etc, as well as the physical locations (are all your users on one site with LAN connections everywhere?).

Without analysing it properly, I would say that 10,000 users would need one or more servers for each major role, ideally without having more than one role per server, so you are looking at 10+ servers overall.

You would also need to look at your IP network structure -- what subnetting are you going to have? as this affects traffic between subnets.

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks
                Kay

Comment

Actually, as far as I remember, NT had a limit or 102mb of registry incl. the SAM file, which had a limit or 50mb, which in turn meant around 27,000 users + their workstations.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

seems to be a Q from MCSE exam,
                    but theoraticly you can use 1 (one) nice server with 8 Itaniumes -) 16 Gb DDR Ram -) , 10000 users, you poor one, how do you manage it without bunch of external IT advisers, 10-100 IT stuff -) and who knows what budjet?

Comment

Working...
                    X