Administering Vista on Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administering Vista on Server 2003

As the title says, can this be done or will we have to upgrade to server 2008? We are starting to see more and more Vista machines / Windows 7 on the market and I recon were going to have to update pretty soon if we need to.

Has anyone any experience in upgrading to server 2008 as a result of Vista / Win 7 systems

Re: Administering Vista on Server 2003

We only have one Vista system on our Win 2003 AD domain. It functions fine apart from one little thing - pre-authentication fails on user/machine logins:

Log Type: Security
    Source: Security
    Type Of Event: Failure Audit
    Category: Account Logon
    EventID: 675
    Account: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: TITAN
    Description: Pre-authentication failed:
    User Name: perfect-user
    User ID: %{S-1-5-21-434221507-3794906203-392007587-2737}
    Service Name: krbtgt/BRILLDOMAIN
    Pre-Authentication Type: 0x0
    Failure Code: 0x19
    Client Address: 192.168.0.129

However, this is invisible to the user and does not affect their ability to log on.

We plan to install some Win7 machines in the next month, but have no plans to upgrade the server to Win 2008
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

The reason I ask this question is I use Vista / Win 7 & XP at home and the Vista & Win 7 machines can always see things on the XP machine but XP cant get to everything on the more advanced systems. We obviously need full control of all PC's from a domain controller for security reasons.

Comment

This is simply a matter of configuration. My home network also comprises WinXP Pro and one other machine that was running Vista Ultimate, and which I recently upgraded to Win7 Ultimate. Two-way networking is not a problem.

Are there specific problems you have encountered that you are unable to resolve?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          We only have one Vista system on our Win 2003 AD domain. It functions fine apart from one little thing - pre-authentication fails on user/machine logins:

Log Type: Security
          Source: Security
          Type Of Event: Failure Audit
          Category: Account Logon
          EventID: 675
          Account: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
          Computer: TITAN
          Description: Pre-authentication failed:
          User Name: perfect-user
          User ID: %{S-1-5-21-434221507-3794906203-392007587-2737}
          Service Name: krbtgt/BRILLDOMAIN
          Pre-Authentication Type: 0x0
          Failure Code: 0x19
          Client Address: 192.168.0.129

However, this is invisible to the user and does not affect their ability to log on.

We plan to install some Win7 machines in the next month, but have no plans to upgrade the server to Win 2008
          Blood

See here for information and a reported fix for the 0x19 errors.

Comment

Nothing specific, it just didnt fill me with confidence when my vista machine could see teh XP box but it wasnt a 2 way thing.

I suppose I need to get a Win 7 / Vista box set up & start testing it out

Comment

On the security and share dialogs you can use the general controls to set up a share. However, once the share is set up, access its properties and you will see more specific controls marked with a UAC icon that allow you to specify granular permissions for members of the domain, exactly as you can for XP, 2003.

Comment

Working...
              X