Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to apply WSUS update to selected Windows Server only (not all domain) ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply WSUS update to selected Windows Server only (not all domain) ?

Hi All,

can some one confirms me that the following steps is correct for applying WSUS update to selected Windows Server only ?

On ADUC

1. Create a custom OU for WS 2003
    2. drag n drop the WS 2003 computer account into the custom OU
    3. right click on the custom OU above and create WSUS policy to be applied only for those WS2003 inside the custom OU

On WSUS 3.0 console

1. Create rule for auto approve update for the selected WS 2003 custom OU
    2. Synch the WSUS server

The reason that i don't want to update all PC/Server is that some Critical Windows Server I prefer to manually update it (through browser).

Please let me know if I miss something here.

Thanks.

Re: How to apply WSUS update to selected Windows Server only (not all domain) ?

yes, that would work
    your other option would be to have all devices get the wsus policy regardless, but then using computer groups within wsus, separate them that way, and only approve patches to a specific group...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: How to apply WSUS update to selected Windows Server only (not all domain) ?

What I would recommend is to have all computers under WSUS but:
      1) Put clients and servers in separate OUs
      2) Set a GPO for client OU to automatically update from WSUS
      3) Set a GPO for server OU to get updates from WSUS but NOT to automatically install

That way you are controlling the updates at two levels:
      A) allowing them into WSUS
      B) deciding when/if to install them on the servers
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X