PC Name to Username?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Name to Username?

I have a computer on my network that I would like to identify. I know the username of the PC - but I do not know what PC or who is using this PC. I even know the IP.

Any way of me locating who it is or any way of sending a message to that PC so I can identify where this PC is? I've tried net send with no luck.

My server is running 2003 - and thru DHCP I can ID the PC name and IP.

Re: PC Name to Username?

Remote into the PC or access the admin share and see what user folders are on it. Should give you a hint as to who's using it.
    Last edited by Wired; 25th February 2010, 22:13.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And if you don't know the password to the account (maybe it's someone's home computer), use your switchs' ability to trace a MAC address to a physical port on the switch. From the switch to the patch panel... from the patch panel to the cable run and back to the port it's plugged into. Of course, this is predicated on a few things:
      • Managed Switches
      • Properly labeled patch panels
      • Properly labeled wall ports
      • An accurate building schematic with said wall ports accurately documented

All things that are surprisingly uncommon.

This very thing happened to me once. Turned out to be some insurance rep in the HR head's office who plugged his laptop straight into the network.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Use the SHUTDOWN command and I would say after 3 or 4 shutdowns each time after the machine is restrated the user will be calling tech support. Bingo, you now know where the machine is.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

nbtstat -a hostname will tell you who is logged on (the last entry). You can then trace them through ADUC and contact them.

[Edit]
          hmmm - is this a guest? Well, the name *might* help.
          Last edited by Blood; 26th February 2010, 13:53.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Use the SHUTDOWN command and I would say after 3 or 4 shutdowns each time after the machine is restrated the user will be calling tech support. Bingo, you now know where the machine is.
            You always come up with the bestest solutions. Is your last name Travaglia?
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

If you know the IP of the PC then you're halfway there.

Use NSLOOKUP to get the computer name, or even ping -a

Assuming you have rights to the pc, connect to the event viewer on the pc and check for logon events (event ID 528 or 540 I think)

Comment

Working...
              X